PDA

View Full Version : Thirsty Mallard

Julie Kenward
03-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I caught this mallard taking a drink at a nearby lake. The image was taken at dusk, accounting for the beautiful golden reflections on the water's surface. I did a levels adjustment and upped the saturation just a bit in PS. I normally wouldn't have left the bird so dead center but the reflections in all four corners kept me from cropping much out. Should I forego the reflections for a better position on the bird? If so, which area would you give the boot to?

Canon 40D
Canon 70-200mm f/4L USM
ISO 100
f 4
1/500
AWB
Handheld
Natural Light
Eval Metering

Dave Phillips
03-30-2008, 05:56 PM
It's excellent that you are seeing the "light" and reflections Julie. When water has a motion and nice coloration, I will often
lower the shutter speed and look for best abstract patterns.....a little off track here, but notice how your image has a diagonal
color division of the patterns. Gold upper left and blue lower right, I does make this a bit off balance IMO.

About the mallard, if you want him as the subject then he needs to get the focal attention. Better if larger and positioned off center, likely upper right a bit to give him room to swim into. Even a slight panoramic crop would work well.
A lower shooting angle would be the single biggest improvement here IMO

Like I first stated though......seeing the light is first big step, and you have taken that step quite well

Julie Kenward
03-30-2008, 06:18 PM
It's funny that you mentioned the lower camera angle because I noticed that from the images I shot a couple of weeks ago and have started to get down lower now. At the time, it was a total mudslide that I was standing in and I REALLY didn't want a mudbath - no matter how good it is supposed to be for the skin!

I'll try a new crop as you suggested and see what I think. I really appreciate your comments. This is just wonderful to be able to take a decent photo and then use these critiques to make it even better!

Arthur Morris
03-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Beware the lower angle when creating images with reflections; the lower you go the less patterned the reflections would be. I like it as is. A crop from the bottom would make it better.

later and love, artie

Alfred Forns
03-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Can only add to take plenty These guys need a perfect sun angle to show off their colors !!!! Gorgeous water !!!!

Gus Cobos
03-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Julie,
Love your image. The colors are very nice and love the water rings.. You did good...:D

Nonda Surratt
03-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Julie,

I love the water, just beautiful! Very, very nice image!