PDA

View Full Version : Kite

Hilary Hann
08-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Back on a more serious note....
I've decided not to make a bird triptych after deciding that the roller could stand as a print on its own (not the failed BIF, the previous image), but thought I'd rather make a series of birds in the same style but with different colours and textures. So this is the first one I've tried. The black shouldered kite (I think this is right) was photographed at Lake Nakuru NP, Kenya against a bright blue sky. I felt that the tree branches were interesting, the way they made an inverse 'V' shape and the direct stare. The raw file did need quite a large crop and there was a lot of noise in the sky but the texture has, in my opinion, covered up those short comings. The right eye was in shadow so I had to recreate the eye from flipping the left eye over and blending it. I had thoughts of removing some of the twigs on the right hand side, but I didn't want to make it look artificially perfect, but more natural as it is a wild bird.

I would love to know if you think it works as an image or if I need to do anything more to improve it.

Thanks all.

Jay Sheinfield
08-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi Hilary, It works for me. I think the centered comp is nice given the straight on look of the bird, and the perch is great as is. The extra twigs aren't distracting at all. Some trick with the eye re-creation.:S3: Ordinarily, I would suggest a slice off the top, but it still works with the BG vignette as is. It is lovely. At some point, would you share your technique for background texturing, it is beautiful, and it pops the Kite. Very nice!

Hilary Hann
08-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks Jay for the feedback. I wasn't sure about the crop from the top either and could be persuaded if others think I should come down more. But I would have to go back to the layers to drop the dark part as well. I wanted him to have some space and keep the eyes on the thirds line. I was please with the eye recreation but in the end it was quite easy, so perhaps it was just meant to be.

I would love to share my techniques but I'm very bad at writing these things so that they make sense as a lot of it is down to the feel the base image gives me. But I could probably share the basic texture and blending technique and trust that everyone will experiment to find which combination suits them and their subject matter. Sadly there is no magic to it, how nice if there were. I'll finish off my current series of birds and then see if I can cobble something together.

Jay Sheinfield
08-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks in advance.

Indranil Sircar
08-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Hilary, I am with Jay on this. It works great for me! Love the perch and the intense look along with the bg texture and color. Blending the eye was great idea and I can still see a bit of the catchlight. Excellent processing. Can't wait to see the next in the series :S3:

John Storjohann
08-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Hilary, Jay made a lot of excellent observations regarding composition and color; like Jay I might slice a wee bit off the top...and I might lighten the bird just a little bit to help bring out a few more shadow details and give it a little more separation from the background. This is a wonderful image...looking forward to seeing more!

Hilary Hann
08-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Thanks Indranil and John.

I'll try cropping some off the top as suggested and maybe lighten the bird a tiny bit. Always good to have another viewpoint. Thanks everyone.

Mitch Carucci
08-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Very painterly, and love the dark moodiness.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
08-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Hilary,

Greetings. This is just beautiful. Really like the color, wonder if it would hold if a bit brighter. Just a little texture blob above the right hand side of the head that I think would look best if blended out. Looking forward to more from this series. Thanks much for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Susan Candelario
08-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi Hilary,
I really like the look & feel of the effects that you are ending up with in this series of birds. I like the fact that you put some thought into how to approach each image depending on the feeling it evokes to you. Nice work!

Paul Lagasi
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I think you have discovered your own style, Hillary, I am enjoying your bird and wildlife images...this one is no exception, a beauty that I'd love on my wall..TFS

denise ippolito
08-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Hilary, This is stunning! I love the BG colors, mood, vignette and textured look to it. The pose and details are great. Fantastic and I wouldn't change a thing.:S3:

Maureen Allen
08-05-2011, 07:27 PM
This is such beautiful work, Hilary. I've so enjoyed each of the images you've posted here.

Kerry Perkins
08-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Hilary, I wouldn't change a thing. I think it's lovely and compelling and I like the space above - to me it gives a sense of space and the kite is the master of it all!

I would love it if you would put together a brief workflow description to add to our workflow sticky! We haven't had anything new for a while and your backgrounds and textures are absolutely stunning IMO. :5

Hilary Hann
08-06-2011, 02:43 AM
Thanks Mitch, Michael, Susan, Paul, Denise, Maureen & Kerry (hope I didn't miss anyone). I do appreciate all the feedback very much.

Kerry, I will perhaps contact you by PM next week to ask for help in posting a workflow sticky. I am a little snowed under but will try really hard to make something that people can follow.

Kerry Perkins
08-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Hilary, no pressure! When you are ready just post a regular post with the workflow and an image and I will add it to the workflow sticky that is already there. Thanks in advance!

Brendan Dozier
08-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Great image, texture work, and composition, Hilary. The head-on look from the kite is wonderful, like how the subtle blue in BG compliments the orange of the eyes. Like the texture of the thorny perch. This is really fine art!

Hilary Hann
08-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks Brendan.

Bob Miller
08-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Hillary....Lovely image as is and the texture chosen is "right on". I might take just a bit off the top to draw focus to those eyes! Another great piece of art...TFS

Hilary Hann
08-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks Bob