PDA

View Full Version : Sailing the night

Mitch Carucci
08-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Topaz remask & simplify...

denise ippolito
08-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Mitch, I love the effect on the sky and water. The sailboat has a nice look to it. I think that the bird is a bit large and competes with the boat. As presented I would evict the bird and crop some off the bottom. I think the boat can stand on it's own nicely but those are just my thoughts. Do you have anymore room on top? Nice work with the remask filter.:S3:

Indranil Sircar
08-05-2011, 01:56 AM
Mitch, interesting composition with all the elements together... the sky is awesome! I like the concept however I agree with Denise on the size of the Egret. I too think the boat stands on its own with backlit sail. The egret seems to be lit up from a different direction and reducing the brightness on the bird might help get the focus back on the boat. Excellent processing!

John Storjohann
08-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Mitch, some excellent suggestions made above regarding the size of the egret and the lighting...I'll offer another possible spin..:S3:...you might try making the egret substantially smaller...flipping it so it's facing the other way...and placing it straight up from where it is now, not quite half way from the current position and the top edge of the frame. Just a thought...I love the sky, the work done on the boat...like Denise suggested, I might put a little more room at the top, and maybe a little more room to the right if you create an image with the boat alone. Great job!

Mitch Carucci
08-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Denise,

You are right, this image does not really work. Another case of my trying to put too many elements into it. As punishment, I will write 100 times "Keep it simple stupid!"

M.

Mitch Carucci
08-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks John and Indranil, This one needs a complete rethink!

denise ippolito
08-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Mitch, I don't think that the image doesn't work, I just think that maybe a few tweaks will make it better-of course in who's eyes is the real question.:S3:

Paul Lagasi
08-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Mitch, I agree this image has good possibilities, just need a few tweeks..the problem is the bird and the boat are the same size, a viewers eye, doesn't know which subject to choose, as the main one (hope you understand I barely do).
If you want the bird as the main subject, leave it alone and shrink the boat or vice versa. But this is a very nice image...:tinysmile_shy_t:

Kerry Perkins
08-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi Mitch, I don't think this one is a total loss, just maybe a bit of a re-think. If it were mine, I would flip the bird horizontally, so it is flying toward the boat, then make it smaller so it appears to be farther back in the frame. Did I mention that it is great to see you here? :c3:

Bob Miller
08-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Mitch....I like this alot! It has a great feel to it...it only needs to have the bird smaller

Mitch Carucci
08-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Well, here is a different version...

Thanks for all your comments.

M.

Bob Miller
08-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Works for me! Cool! :5
I would still consider using the edit-tranform- scale command to size the bird as i liked that quite a bit!

Mitch Carucci
08-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Bob,

Thanks for your suggestion. I ill try it tomorrow when I can get back to playing with photos. I'll post it.

Mitch

Kerry Perkins
08-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Well, that's pretty cool too!

Mitch Carucci
08-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Bob,

Here is a bird flipped as you suggested (flying towards the boat) Does this bird works better than the original one?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mitch

Bob Miller
08-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Mitch...these all work but i like the egret better...also you might consider scaling the bird down some in size so it doesn't compete so much with the boat. Again...all of these are very nice!

Mitch Carucci
08-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks Denise, Indranil, John, Paul, Kerry and Bob for all your suggestions and taking the time to look at my pic!

M.