PDA

View Full Version : Moeraki Boulders #3, New Zealand

Jay Gould
08-04-2011, 06:23 PM
This is the last of the Moeraki Boulders images; and, the first shot!

As a result of obtaining the Viewing Angle Guage for my laptop screen, I went back to the drawing board and reprocessed this image. Very different; not nearly as saturated as originally processed!!

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 29 Apr 11; 4:13PM
Light condition: setting sun
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length:27mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp:
ISO: 100
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 60 sec
Aperture: f/18
Exp Comp: none
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One-shot AF
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR RGNDs and GNDs
Crop: some
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Nik and Pixel Genius Software.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

John Storjohann
08-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Jay, this is stunning...I have GOT to make it to New Zealand some day! My only comment is that I wish I could see just a HINT of detail/texture in the foreground rocks...but that's a matter of personal taste. The image is beautiful! :cheers:

Dave Mills
08-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi Jay, Overall another winner! Good placement of rocks in the foreground with only wanting a small amount more room on the bottom. Beautiful color with sand patterns having interest and taking the eye further out.
Finally, a beautiful glow with the mist on the upper right adding another element. Well seen and handled!:5

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Hey Jay,
Loving everything about this one! I like the placement and separation in the rocks....the colors.....and the gradient of light from dark to light. Works for me all around!!!:cheers:

Don Lacy
08-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Wonderful colors Jay and I love the middle of the image. I would be tempted to crop this even more into a Pano by cropping off the bottom about 1/2 way between the single rock and the group of rocks.

Jay Gould
08-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks Don; I looked at that crop. When you remove the front rock the remaining rocks become a barrier cutting off the eye naturally gravitating to the background along the sand lines. With the front rock you skip from boulder to boulder and then up the sand.

Andrew McLachlan
08-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Hi Jay, a very, very lovely image. The colors are beautiful :cheers:

Judy Howle
08-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Very striking image Jay! I love the colors and the rocks and sand patterns.

Robert Amoruso
08-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Agree with the above, but would suggest lightening the FG, especially on the LR somewhat. I find that it draws my eye too much for too long a time.

Jay Gould
08-09-2011, 03:11 AM
Agree with the above, but would suggest lightening the FG, especially on the LR somewhat. I find that it draws my eye too much for too long a time.

Hi Robert, thanks for your continuing assistance to make me a better landscape photographer.

In this case, if I lighten the foreground it would be very artificial. The location of the sun is obvious and there is a slight rise between the foreground and mid-ground that is causing the shadow. That is also why the backs of the boulders are so dark.

I will do an RP lightening the suggested area as soon as I alight; not too sure it will work.

Cheers,