PDA

View Full Version : old hay barn

John Chardine
03-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Here's another hay barn from the Tantramar Marsh, created today. These barns are slowly falling down and are not being conserved.

40D, 100-400mm @400mm, 1/640s, F9, ISO 400. Slight crop and increase of saturation.

Roman Kurywczak
03-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi John,
It's a shame they are letting them just fall down. By moving a little bit to the right yourself, you would have isolated the barn better against the field a little more. I would try to tone down the sky a little more (or use a 3 stop grad ND filter in the field) as it looks like there is detail in the sky. I would probably take a little off the bottom where the snow starts becoming uninteresting and the left to get the door, which draws you into your picture, out of the center
Roman

Alfred Forns
03-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi John !!!! Very nice image Totally agree with Roman's suggestions You can do some of the split grad filter work right here in PS Always best to do in camera but is an option. I don't specialize in landscape and can't take all the filters with me so its PS for me Will give it a try.

Tough working from the jepeg but might give an idea for using PS density filter effects in PS Doing subtle changes normally looks natural Stepped up a bit the change so it would be noticeable

Harold Davis
03-30-2008, 07:25 PM
i like what alfred did to this great image. only thing i could add is to have made a wider image of the area. i love seeing the old barns off in the distance in a large landscape, but there may have been distracting elements here so it wouldnt have worked. in any case, good job. i like it!

Roman Kurywczak
03-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi John,
I've made a "dirty" conversion, on purpose, to show you what the sky would have probabply looked like if you had used a soft edge, 3 stop ND filter. The transition with the filter would be smooth. Look at the detail you had in the sky! You can also do this in post processing...... and even I will be buying the NIK filters (it has a ND filter in it)........ but my recommendation is that you carry this lightweight filter for just such situations. The closer you get in camera, the easier your corrections will be
Roman
PS you can hand hold it in front of the lens if you get a 4X6 size

Alfred Forns
03-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Great idea to show what the actual filter would have done Roman !!!! No substitute for the original !!!!

John Chardine
03-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Neat. Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I've been playing with tone mapping/HDR and may try this image again with -2, 0, and +2 stops. That way I could get a better balance of exposure between the sky and land.

Roman Kurywczak
03-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi John,
that would definitely work too.......especially if you are more than 3 stops off.
Roman

Robert Amoruso
03-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Roman gave you some good advice here. Moving left would have gotten the top of the barn into the plowed pasture behind it and not had the intersection between the top of the roof and the arcing of the pasture hill.