PDA

View Full Version : Sunset at the West Walker Motel

Michael Yessik
08-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Taken with my low-end point-and-shoot Lumix in Auto Mode while on a bike ride traveling through Walker, CA. I decided to go for the "Route 66" style and include the motel sign. A row of thunderstorms had just rolled through the Sierra Mountains resulting in rare clouds for this part of the world. Some stitching from a couple of extra frames. Hand held at 1/30s.

Jay Gould
08-05-2011, 01:03 AM
A wild sky. I hope you have some more without the sign!!

John Storjohann
08-05-2011, 06:37 AM
I love the sky...and while I like your idea of the Route 66 style image, like Jay I find myself hoping you have some without the sign as well. My one comment...if it were mine, I'd clone out that one circular flare (?) spot right in the middle of the picture, near the very bottom...from the location I'm guessing it's not the sun, unless it's shining through a natural arch..a car? Nice capture!

Dave Mills
08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Hi Michael, A sunset we all hope to be in front of at the right place. Due to being clipped and placement the sign is not adding to the powerful skies story and is competing with the sky for the viewers attention.
If possible I might have tried to find a more interesting silhouette to put with this and agree about removing the small bright circle....

Michael Yessik
08-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Well I do have some without the sign, but this was in town, albeit a very small town, so there was always something else: telephone poles, other signs, a ramshackle building, etc. I could have driven out of town, but I didn't have a car, and, having just completed about 100 miles through the mountains, nothing was going to get me back on my bike. The best part was just sitting outside, having a beer, and watching the sunset. The sky just kept getting more red for well over an hour since sunsets last a very long time in the mountains. It may not make the best picture, but for me it has a lot of sentimental value. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Hey Michael,
That's a great sunset! We need that in Arches!!! Good observations above about the sign.....but I also may try lightening it above the neon. I agre about getting rid of the light flare in the mountain. I can almost imagine having a brew there with you and just enjoying hte show!

Michael Yessik
08-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I thought a bit about the "flare" and decided I had no idea what it was. Not a car since it was there in every shot, over some time. I thought maybe a reflection, but I couldn't think of what would cause that. I finally left it in as what was really there, but I agree it looks better without. I also lightened up the unlit part of the sign which I like, and slightly darkened the rest of the FG. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Roman Kurywczak
08-06-2011, 01:39 PM
works better for me Michael!

Jay Gould
08-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Works better for me too.

I hope you don't mind; I did a quick play.

Michael Yessik
08-06-2011, 02:16 PM
I certainly don't mind, and I agree that as a landscape it really works. I guess for me it's the emotional attachment to the experience that wants the motel sign.

Jay Gould
08-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Frankly, I would use that sky with another dark foreground. Perhaps an animal siloutte etc.

Michael Yessik
08-06-2011, 02:43 PM
I will certainly save the sky for some possible future use. Meanwhile, here's my compromise: I made the sign a lot smaller.

Roman Kurywczak
08-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Nice compromise Michael! I think that is my favorite version!

Andrew McLachlan
08-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi Michael, final repost works best for me. Awesome sky!

Judy Howle
08-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Great image and an amazing sky! I like the last repost best.

Robert Amoruso
08-08-2011, 06:34 AM
I agree with Andrew and Judy above.

Dave Mills
08-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Another vote for the last repost...