PDA

View Full Version : The New Kid on the Rock

Marina Scarr
08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Captured this young Mountain Goat last week on Mt Evans. What a joy they were to watch and photograph.

Canon 1D3, Canon 100-400L @ 330mm
F11, 1/1600sec, ISO 640, manual mode
Handheld sitting on a nearby rock

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Marina Scarr
www.marinascarrphotography.com (http://www.marinascarrphotography.com)

Morkel Erasmus
08-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Love the simplicity here Marina. White on green also works nicely. Good exposure to get the details in the fur too. Bokeh is nice.
They seem to be quite 'habituated' or at least tolerant of humans on Mt Evans? :Whoa!:

Robert Amoruso
08-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Marina,

I agree with Morkel's comments. I like that you have the diagonal of the chest coming from the LR corner. Leads the eye to the head quite well.

Nancy Bell
08-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Darling! I've been waiting to see some Mt. Goat postings from your trip. Beautiful detail in the fur, highlight in the eye and perfect head angle. Was it cold when you were there?

Willem Verboom
08-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Very good looking 'new kid' . As called before great detail in the fur and nice blurry background could be a litte bite more I think but it is still a good looking picture.

Marina Scarr
08-04-2011, 09:22 AM
They seem to be quite 'habituated' or at least tolerant of humans on Mt Evans?

I was quite shocked myself at how close a goat will come to a human, esp when they are around the minerals they so desperately seek. When they are up on the mountain where there aren't many humans, they tended to be more wary. At one point, I sat with them for over an hour during the group's siesta. I didn't shoot much b/c the light was mostly high, but it was a joy to be so close to them and witness their behavior and interaction.

Was it cold when you were there? The days I was at the top it was in the 30's and the wind wasn't too bad. Did wear my long johns though. :bg3: I went to the top both days but the goats weren't up at the top as I had hoped. I did however feel as though I got pretty lucky in the places I did find them.

Grace Scalzo
08-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Totally sweet Marina. The green background is so perfect for this little one and his expression is cute.

Tin Man Lee
08-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Lovely light and background. Like the catchlight and looks like the kid is smiling. Nice work!

Steve Canuel
08-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Cute. Interesting to see one with such a solidly green BG.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
08-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Super sweet with a nice bg. I like the flared nostril but keep finding my eye roaming to that brighter white area on the far chin fur near the mouth. Maybe sften up that brightness alittle? Would love the chance to go there sometime and just see one of these guys... No I take that back, I'd need a great shot too.:c3:

DanWalters
08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Very nice Marina! Like the portrait and the green background. Great detail as well.

John Blumenkamp
08-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Hi Marina... I'm in agreement with others here - great detail, which really looks nice against that green background! Hope to see more.