PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Theme: Wandering Albatross

Michael Yessik
08-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Processed in Topaz Simplify Watercolor.

John Storjohann
08-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Michael, I really like the effect you've achieved with Topaz...if it were mine, I'd be tempted to clone out the two out of focus albatross and then crop it a bit from the top, down to just above where the upper tip of the bird farthest to the right is. Just food for thought...nicely done!

Nancy Bell
08-03-2011, 08:03 PM
The water has a wonderful feel to it, both the simplify effect and that huge swell in the upper left. I think the 2 OOF albatrosses are not necessary and somewhat distracting. The main albatross is well placed.

Paul Lagasi
08-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Very nice work, I agree about the two OOF birds...removing those will make this a strong image...

Michael Yessik
08-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Well, I removed the 2 OOF birds, and re-cropped. I will have to stare at it for a while to see how I feel. Anyone else?

Brendan Dozier
08-03-2011, 09:58 PM
This has a great feel to it Michael, like the flight pose, and the processing on the water is great! Good suggestions, and I think repost makes it stronger. If it were mine, I might take some off top and bit off bottom. Most important is your vision, and your interpretation, and no one will be offended if you don't want to make any suggested changes.

Nancy Bell
08-03-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm just playing around in my head with these suggestions. If you can move the albatross maybe try moving it way right & down a bit so the top of the wing follows the line flowing to the right from the large swell. Since the head of the albatross is looking somewhat away this arrangement would have the albatross flying out of the image. Certainly not the "normal" placement of the main subject but for me the water is so spectacular that the bird is not really what my eye is looking at. I think having the bird flying out of the image causes the focus to be on the magnificant movement of the water and wind and the albatross is part of that movement. I am most likely a minority of one with this view point and if I could I would probably try it out in the privacy of my own computer before I revealed myself to the world :e3.

denise ippolito
08-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Michael, I think the repost does look better, I agree a small crop from the top to just below the dark area will still leave the one wave which would look nice. I see some halos around the bird that I would try to evict. The effect on the water is great. Nice original capture!:S3:

Susan Candelario
08-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi Michael,
I think your repost really works better for me. I like the layers of the wave and the treatment to the b/g as well as the banking Gull. Nicely done!

John Storjohann
08-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Michael, the repost, for me, is a much stronger image...I agree with Denise and Brendan, a bit of a crop from the top and the bottom would send it over the top. Nice job evicting the two out of focus albatross...looking good!

Michael Yessik
08-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Another try based on all of the suggestions: I moved the bird somewhat to the right and down to reveal more of the big swell in the upper left. Also, instead of cropping the dark area at the top, I lightened it up, which I think blends better, and allows me to leave in all of the big swell. I also similarly lightened the bottom to coordinate better.

If anyone is up to another look, I'd appreciate comments.

denise ippolito
08-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Michael, I love that you were able to get rid of the halo and the lightened top does look better. I do like the bird in the original position just a bit more. I have to tell you this is a very creative look!:S3:

Indranil Sircar
08-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Very creative, Michael. Wonderful progression of images... feels like a Japanese painting. Nice use of filters.

Bob Miller
08-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Hi Mike.....I like your final posting.....the oof birds and the halo were distracting to me.....I think its ready to hang on the wall! :5

Roman Kurywczak
08-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Hey Michael,
I like the position of the bird in the OP....but the final repost rocks for everything else!!! Like a painting!