PDA

View Full Version : Started With a Painting in Mind

John Storjohann
08-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Yes, another water lily...but this is the first image I've processed where I started from the RAW file on with the intent of doing an OOB. What I've posted previously were done first as nature prints then "converted" if you will; from the time I started working on LR on this one I wanted to see what I could do with it strictly as a "painting". Processed minimally in LR; then applied Topaz Adjust for color and tone; then a mild Topaz Clean application; followed by Topaz Detail->Stylize Detail for effect; and finally, Topaz->Simplify->BuzSim with tweaks to the detail sliders. I did a good bit of cloning to remove a stray leaf directly behind (actually leaning against) the bloom and to remove some underwater stems that were distracting. I also cleaned up a bit of debris on the bottom leaf. Original image was shot with the 100-400 @ 260mm, f/32@1/20.

Brendan Dozier
08-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Your series of water lilies is wonderful, John, and this one is no exception. Awesome IQ on this, and just the right touch of filters to make for a very pleasing composition. Like the reflection, and vibrant color. Not sure about the lily pad to rt of bloom, I might do a version without it to comapre. Nicely done!

John Storjohann
08-04-2011, 06:32 AM
I may try to do that this evening after work, Brendan...at the same time I did the OP I worked on one that cropped the lower leaves and removed the leaf to the left. I hadn't thought of removing the one on the right...I'll give it a whirl.

denise ippolito
08-04-2011, 08:14 AM
John, I prefer the OP, which is just a matter of taste. If it were mine I would crop the bottom to just above the curled leaf? I love the reflection and the way the one petal is dipping into the water. I think you did a terrific job processing this one and thank you for sharing your work flow.:S3:

Susan Candelario
08-04-2011, 11:06 AM
John, I am really enjoying your flower images! The details on the waterlily are great as is the reflection. I probably would crop a bit from the bottom and get rid of the pad to the right of the waterlily. I would also tone down the greens in the pads a tad. The brightness keeps competing for my attention. Just my two cents. Of course this is a matter of personal preference and this is OOTB. :w3 I like how carefully apply filters to enhance a beautiful capture to begin with, but leaving enough detail to still be visible. Good job! Can't wait to see more.

John Storjohann
08-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Thank you for the comments and suggestions. I removed the pad to the right of the bloom...cropped a bit from the bottom..Denise, I wasn't sure if this was your suggested crop point or not, so I winged it a bit. I also took a sliver off the side...after removing the right pad it seemed like an awful large expanse to that side, but that may just be me. :e3

Brendan Dozier
08-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Repost looks great, John! You could even take a bit more off the rt, to even out both sides, but all personal taste and looks great as is.

Bob Miller
08-06-2011, 11:00 AM
John.....very nice!......loving the way you are processing this series for color and detail! Another crop to consider....I would leave the lily pad to the right and also keep the top left lower pad and eject the rest....Just a thought!