PDA

View Full Version : Predator Table Manners?

Gerald Kelberg
08-03-2011, 05:21 PM
While on vacation in Italy, I found the remains of a recently killed and mostly consumed fledgling pigeon - almost fully fledged. The remains were somewhat bizarre and it got me wondering about whether different predators - mammal or avian - have a signature style of devouring their prey.

The carcass that I found consisted of the wings, breast and one leg of the bird. It appeared that the predator had ripped out and consumed the head, neck and backbone; consumed the innards apart from the heart and a part of the crop!

My question has two parts - do species have particular or distinct "table manners" when it comes to devouring their prey? If so, any thoughts as to what species might have been responsible for this piece of work.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Gerald

Roy Priest
08-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Gerald, the only one I know that leaves a distinctive carcass is a falcon predating on a bird too large to carry. The prey is on it's back with the breast eaten out.

John Chardine
08-03-2011, 09:19 PM
You are on to something Gerald. Indeed, predators do leave tell-tail signs. Owls (e.g., Great-horned) tear the heads off of their prey (e.g., terns), and leave them strewn around. It is quite typical for most predators to leave the wings and consume everything else. When you say your pigeon had the breast do you mean breast muscle or bone? I can't see a bird of prey leaving the muscle behind.

Roy Priest
08-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Oh, I forgot the Merlin. They usually decapitate their small bird prey.

Gerald Kelberg
08-05-2011, 02:12 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses.

John, the breast seemed fairly complete - bone and flesh, which surprised me - and got me to thinking about the way the bird had been carved up. It is possible that the raptor had been disturbed or had simply dropped the unfinished carcass - where I found it was at the top of the stairs leading into a derelict farm house and it could have fallen their from the guttering above and been very awkward to retrieve.

Roy, I spotted both falcon and buzzards in the area and there was one buzzard very close to the house that morning, so it might have been that one. They are extraordinarily wary and almost impossible to photograph, unfortunately. In fact, because there is a lot of hunting in the area, most of the wildlife in there is fairly wary.

Gerald

Paul Guris
08-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Raptors will often go for the most nutritious parts of their prey first. If the prey item is large or they get disturbed, they leave the rest. Lean muscle is apparently not as desirable as the entrails, so it would make sense that this would be left behind on prey as large as a pigeon.

Eric Weaver
08-06-2011, 04:50 PM
I could post a well picked over mourning dove if anyone would care to see. It's laid out on a limb back down with just the head, wings and back left. I think it's either a Cooper's or a Sharpie's kill.