PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Calibration my experience

Sid Garige
03-30-2008, 03:39 PM
I was under an impression that a color chart will be good enough for preparing digital images. Before making entries for competitions I always adjusted my brightness and contrast and gamma on my laptop using a color chart. I started the process again today which resulted in a terrible color tones and levels. I went a picked up a monitor calibration tool and I am back on track.

Lesson learned. Dont use laptop for making images and ambient light does make a lot off difference. Good calibrated monitor is always a must.:)

Blake Shadle
03-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Amen, Sid. When I started processing images on a regular basis I used my laptop. I processed them to what I thought was an accurate representation of what I captured in the field. The operative word being "thought". My colors and levels were way off on any other monitor. There's no substitute for a properly calibrated monitor.

Ben Page
03-31-2008, 02:41 PM
My laptop works fine, it's a Sony with the x-black double lamp 17" screen calibrated with a Spyder2 Pro. Everything I've printed looks as vibrant as it did on the screen. Not saying I wouldn't like an Eizo panel, just that not all laptops are equal.

Rocky Sharwell
03-31-2008, 06:26 PM
I have had no problems with a properly profiled laptop screen...But I do agree the angle of viewing might make a difference.

Ed Cordes
03-31-2008, 10:00 PM
I can never get consistency out of my calibrated lap top due to the tilt variation of the screen. I use a calibrated LCD panel on my tower for serious work.

Sid Garige
03-31-2008, 10:24 PM
I can never get consistency out of my calibrated lap top due to the tilt variation of the screen.

Ed,

Thats the real issue with laptops. Unless you calibrate it every time you open its not going to be the same.

Maxis Gamez
03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Hey Sid,

Laptop is good to BROWSE, not editing! :)

Robert Amoruso
04-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I do well with my laptops once they are calibrated.

Phil Seu
04-02-2008, 02:23 AM
My only computer is a laptop; however, I have a decent sized external monitor connected to it. when i look at the same image on the laptop screen, then drag it across to my external monitor, it improves dramatically.

phil