PDA

View Full Version : Stilt

wendell westfall
08-03-2011, 01:58 PM
D90 70-200VR+2X@240 1/1600 f6.3 ISO400 -2/3EV monopod

This morning I found a couple of these guys sweeping the mudflats in the company of a dozen avocets. Looks like this one got something on the last sweep. Very few adjustments made -- in LR3. Critiques welcomed . . .

Wendell

George Burton
08-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Nice shot, Wendell! I can't ever seem to get very close to these guys so it's nice to see one up close. I like the isolation, too. It looks a little soft...maybe a round or two of sharpening?

George Burton

Jeff Cashdollar
08-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Wendell, I was thinking more room in front but let's see what others say. Looks like sun was over the shoulder and subject is in nice light. Whites seem in check and love the attack angle of the bird. Nice body position, showing the long legs which is a key trait of this species. I might lighten the eye area - on balance - well done. You post often and are a hard worker with the camera, thank you for sharing the images. This demonstrates you are on a road of progress - keep em coming.

Kerry Perkins
08-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Hi Wendell, nice capture of the stilt - one of the most popular birds out there I think! They are so much fun to watch and photograph. I like the pose, composition, and exposure. I might add a little bit of blue saturation to the recipe to make the water look more appealing, but your color balance is very good.

Joel Eade
08-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Agree with advice already given, I would also clean up the water a little and I think there may be a couple dust spots...one just under the tail and one in right upper corner.

Nice exposure on the blacks and whites, never very easy to get both right.

Bob Miller
08-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Wendall....nice closeup look at this guy! Using a 70-200 even with a 2x its still not easy to get this close......softness probably due to 2x extender but I think it is sharp enough!