PDA

View Full Version : The Keeper of the Light

Julie Kenward
08-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Here's an image from June when it was still only in the 90's every day (today was 108 - a new record).

These were some plants on the east side of a lake right as the sun was getting ready to set. The light was cutting through them and, in this case, seemed to land right inside the leaves of the one branch.

Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/4 lens
f4.5 @ 1/250th, ISO 200
Natural light, Daylight WB
Normal processing in CS5 and NR using Neat Image.

christopher galeski
08-03-2011, 04:10 AM
nice one Julie,like the atmospheric feel to this,well done.

Nick Palmieri
08-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Love the light. To me this seems like a great candidate for a B&W conversion.

Julie Kenward
08-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Nick, I can't remember if I tried that...but i will now!

Roman Kurywczak
08-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Hey Jules,
The light poking through is fantastic and the DOF falloff works here......I'm just not loving the stems in the BG. Nick's comment and Bob's post below of the buds gave me an idea.....for you to burn in the BG similar to what the LLC is. I would start very gradually.... from the center at 12 and 1 o'clock and then just the stems......and if you wanted more.....slowly work your way out. I think it would be easy to overdo! I do think this would also work in B&W......so having a few versions would be pretty cool! Hot here in NJ too!...Stay in the AC!!!

Julie Kenward
08-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Roman, to clarify...is it just the stems in the BG that you think need to be burned or is it the other lighter colored plants as well? Because I really like the other lighter areas in the BG - but if you think they need to be brought down a notch because they are competing with the main focal point then I can understand that as well.

Roman Kurywczak
08-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Hey Jules,
I would try the stems first......then the center and see if that works for you. I'm thinking similar to what Bob did on his flower buds......but that may be too much......so slowly burning and stepping back......may be the best approach because you can quickly......go too far! I'll take a whack at it if I get a chance shortly!

Roman Kurywczak
08-03-2011, 10:45 AM
OK Jules.....here's my whack at it! too dark for you? May reflect my mood so not the direction you were going......but since I went for it.....I re-posted. As you can see, I also did some selective stem removal but mostly just darkend the BG in small, selective layers. Your thoughts.....good or bad:eek3: are welcomed!

Adrian David
08-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Interesting find, and nicely captured, Julie...I really like Roman's repost, because it amplifies the light effect on the main subject...

Steve Maxson
08-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi Jules. I really like the way the light is hitting the branch in the front - it gives the leaves a beautiful golden glow. On the other hand, there is too much going on in the background for my taste. I like what Roman has done in terms of darkening and simplifying the background so that the key foreground elements become relatively more prominent. :S3: Nice job of spotting this scene!

Jonathan Ashton
08-04-2011, 03:54 AM
Lovely shot I can't tell you the number of times I see a similar scene and think to myself there is a good shot there... but I just can't quite see it. Well you certainly did - love it!!

Bob Miller
08-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Julie...nice seeing! :2eyes2: I like Roman's repost because it simplifies the bg.