PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Star

Nancy Bell
08-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Photographed not far from my place in a lovely high mountain meadow where the pallette of flowers changes monthly. This dainty flower favors wet feet, both it's own and mine!

Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, 1/320, f6.3, ISO 400.

C & C most welcome.

John Storjohann
08-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Nancy, I like clean lines of the composition...and the background compliments the blossom nicely...I wish the stem and the petals were just a tad sharper, and the colors in the petal on the upper right looks a little clipped. If it were mine, I might burn the lower corners just a bit to bring them more in line with the color tone of the BG in the upper left corner, but that's a matter of individual taste. Nicely done!

Roman Kurywczak
08-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey Nancy,
Always a tradeoff in macro.....more DOF can make the BG messy/cluttered but also makes the flower not quite as sharp because of the shallow DOF. I think the BG is fantastic.....so unless the it would negatively impact it......I would opt for as much DOF as I could eek out. Don't forget to push that Mark lV ISO! easily 640....I wouldn't even hesitate to go to 800. Just something to keep in mind for in the field as I hear you are having a great wildflower season! I think the comp is good but I would take off the RH side for my tastes. I like your shooting angle too.....like John though....wishing for a bit more DOF.

Susan Candelario
08-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Good suggestions offered above. I do like the contrasting colors and the OOF b/g.

Steve Maxson
08-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi Nancy. Beautiful colors and a great background! More DOF might be nice, but this version is working for me too - it really focuses our attention of the central part of the flower. Like Roman, I would suggest cropping some off the right - I don't think the off-center comp is really adding anything in this case. :S3: Overall, this is very nicely done.

Adrian David
08-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Beautiful flower with very nice colors. I would also like a bit more DOF, to get the petals in focus, and I would crop some space from the right, even if this will center the subject in the frame, maybe a little more tilt to the right...Just my thoughts...

Nancy Bell
08-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I will keep working on the balance between DOF & bkgd. I debated about how to crop this image and worried about a center placement. But certainly a chunk off the right can be removed. Thanks all for your helpful comments!

Jonathan Ashton
08-04-2011, 03:52 AM
Nice shot I think if it was taken from a little further away you would have been afforded a little more DOF, I get the impression you were at more or less eye height to the flower and judging from the featureless background you would have been able to decrease the aperture. I would suggest a tad more space at the bottom and a little off the right.

kostas nianiopoulos
08-04-2011, 07:51 AM
a really super BG , i will not add more as the guys above has cover me :)

Bob Miller
08-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi Nancy....agree strongly with more DOF....bg handled nicely though...the only thing i can add to whats above is you might try a slight vignette to the image. Nice work!

Anita Bower
08-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Gorgeous colors, nice composition, great blurred bg. I'm wishing the flower were sharper.