PDA

View Full Version : Lady Liberty

Rachel Hollander
08-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I shoot most of my images when I travel and don't shoot in my own "backyard" nearly enough. I had an opportunity to cruise NY Harbor on a friend's motor boat this weekend. This was taken from the boat while moving because whenever we slowed the chop was worse. Unfortunately the sun was to the left of and a little behind the Statue of Liberty.

Canon 7D
100 2.8L
f14
ISO 200
EC +.67
HH from moving boat, straightened, s/h and levels adjustment, sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome & appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Dave Mills
08-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Hi Rachel, I realize the sun angle wasn't the best since the statue is not well lit. I took this into PS and played with it. First I selected the sky and applied S/H in order to bring out more detail.
I then dodged the statue to lighten it and show more detail. I would of preferred a bit more room in front of the statue rather than it being centered...

Due to my doing this quickly I exaggerated a mild halo that was present and the statues color is a bit saturated. Just wanted to show how it could be brought up...

Robert Amoruso
08-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Rachel,

Good details given the lighting. In order to bring out that detail I recommend the following.

1) Reverse s-curve to lower contrast.
2) Selective sharpening of the statute and base - or better yet local contrast enhancement of it.
3) Some more output sharpening at posting size.

Rachel Hollander
08-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks Dave and Robert for the comments and suggestions. Dave - I would have preferred it less centered too but with the bounce from the chop I was lucky to land the focus point on the statue. I tried a slight crop from the rear but wasn't thrilled with it. I also had trouble with a halo when doing any further s/h adjustments so here's a repost following Robert's suggestions. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks again,
Rachel

dankearl
08-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I like all of them, well done, I actually never realized (and I have been there), the intense color of the statue.
Nice work.

Dave Mills
08-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Hi Rachel, better!! The color is more natural than my post and the clouds are more distinct than the OP. Looks a bit of noise was introduced..possibly through PP...

Roman Kurywczak
08-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Hey Rachel,
Way to follow the suggestions! Repost works well. I think you have to beg, bribe, or cajole your friend to take you out at the right light!!! Very difficult and not at all easy!!! Just remember to up the ISO if you go..... as with early light......your SS may drop too much for a rocking boat. You might even drop down to f/11 or f/8 on this for even more SS at that time......just some things to keep in mind if you get out there again!

Rachel Hollander
08-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks Dan, Dave and Roman, much appreciated.