PDA

View Full Version : Vervet Monkey

Vivaldo Damilano
08-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Nikon D3 600 VR ISO 800. Used fill flash 1/640 at F5.

Brendon Cremer
08-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Stunning image Vivaldo, great detail, lovely eye contact and flash well handled. great to see the babies face clearly too and the bg is wonderful, only thinking maybe the image could do with a little more contrast but it may well just be me:w3

Nancy Bell
08-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Outstanding! Brendon covered everything and I agree, also wondering about a bit more contrast.

Hilary Hann
08-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Sweet image Vivaldo, love the tonal range between monkeys and background used here and the expressions are priceless. Love the baby's hand clutching the mother's side, great detail. I think the contrast is fine, perhaps a fraction more density especially in the baby's face to include a bit more detail. I like this very much.

Ofer Levy
08-03-2011, 05:34 AM
Lovely intimate moment captured! Looks a bit on the bright side to me. Here is a repost with some levels and brightness adjustments. Aslo cropped a tiny bit off the top. WDYT ?

peter delaney
08-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Hi Vivaldo

Hope you do not mind giving my take on your wonderful image

Steve Kaluski
08-03-2011, 06:36 AM
Hi Vivaldo, a tender moment for sure.

The OP looks washed out & quite 'prickly' on the blacks, perhaps partly due to a flash. I think out of the three, Peter's looks the more natural, conveying more depth in both colour & content. Personally would like a fraction more to the left & at the foot of the image.

TFS
Steve

Brendon Cremer
08-03-2011, 06:36 AM
Must say, Peters repost is spot on:w3

Grant Atkinson
08-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi Vivaldo, details covered by Hilary, and tonal work by Ofer and Peter...I can only say a super image, with lots of emotion, and very well carried out.
One of the better vervet shots I have seen in ages..
well done
grant

Vivaldo Damilano
08-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks very much for crit's and suggestions. I don't normally use flash so it's something new that I am trying. I prefer Peter's version as I like vibrant colours he added to the image but Ofer's version also works very nicely :S3: Here's my re-post, darkened image with levels and added some saturation.

Steve Kaluski
08-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Hi Vivaldo, now this is difficult. :bg3:

Looking at your repost I then went back to both Ofers & Peters and on reflection I feel all three have a part to play in this image IMHO. I like/prefer the colour & fur of Ofers, the vibrancy of Peters and the detail in the face of your repost, but slightly knocked back in depth to about 80% (?).

Now couple all that together... it is all subjective I know, but hope this isn't too confusing.

cheers
Steve :Whoa!:

Rachel Hollander
08-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Vivaldo - A beautiful portrait and nice job on the repost, although I understand Steve's point about taking the best from all 3.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
08-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Sorry I'm late to this one Vivaldo! Lovely image, very cute. Before I saw your last repost I thought Peter's was the one to go with, but I have to agree with Steve that your last post has a lot of appeal too...
Always subjective yes...in the end you need to portray what you feel best represented the scene. :e3

I think the flash worked nicely in your favour here.

Sachin Saraf
08-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Wow!

What a pleasing image...Lovely capture...TFS

Rudi van den Heever
08-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Great capture Vivaldo! Great use of flash as well!:w3