PDA

View Full Version : Another in the Series of Water Lilies

John Storjohann
08-02-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm on the fence with this one...and I can't put my finger on why. Image capture details: 400mm, f/22@1/100. RAW image cropped & processed in LR; brought into PS for some tonal/color correction and to touch up a few blemishes on the pads and some tine debris floating on the water near the bloom. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Hey John,
I can empathise with your feelings as I have been in this situation myself! Not sure if it is all the leaves competing with the water lily or the direction of the water lily is facing.....after all, the center is a very beautiful part to the flower! In this case I think it is the combo of the 2 but I definitely feel that if hte other leaves.....besides the curled one near the WL weren't there......it would be a stronger comp.....even w/o the center. Make sense?

David Stephens
08-02-2011, 11:42 AM
There's nothing in the water bothering me and the blemishes on the leaves make this "real." The reflection is perfect and you light and colors are rich and luxurious. I'd rate this one very high.

Jason Stander
08-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Agree with David... this is truly beautiful... reflection, and perfect exposure make this one special... take a bow!:w3

John Storjohann
08-02-2011, 05:24 PM
My thanks to everyone for their comments! Roman, I agree with your comment about the "busyness" of the composition...a lot of elements coming into play. I like the position of the flower...I thought it was something a little different for a water lily, and gave an "in the water with it" feel (does that make sense?)...I've darkened the the corner elements with a "burn vignette" to see if that helps draw the composition a little tighter...what do you think? Does it work? Or over the top?

David and Jason, thank you for your kind words! I appreciate your views and comments!

Jay Sheinfield
08-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Hi John,

Late to the party on this one. Beautiful colors and exposure. I'm with Roman on this, but in a different way. IMO there ought sufficiently strong compostional elements to keep the viewer from wondering what the center of the flower looks like. A great example is your Lotus petal posting of 7/30, which is such a strong composition and interest there is no need to see the center of the flower (which is quite beautiful in Lotus blossoms). In this image, the lily facing the other way with reflection is not strong enough to keep my eye from wandering between the WL and bright pads. I am left wanting to see the flower............
I would have wished for a forward facing flower and toned down Lily pads framing it......................Your last posting of the the pads leading to the flower is a wonderful example. Just my two cents...................

christopher galeski
08-03-2011, 04:07 AM
nice image,nice lighting,love the reflection,well done.

John Storjohann
08-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Thank you for the comments and suggestions...Jay, I used Viveza to boost the reflection a bit..I think I may be getting closer to what I first saw here...between the vignette and the reflection boost I'm hoping the other elements aren't as in as strong a competition for the viewer's attention...

Nick Palmieri
08-03-2011, 07:03 AM
I don't mind all the many lily pads in the water. I like the colors and the details. I love the black water and the reflection. I am also wishing the water lily was facing me.

Jay Sheinfield
08-03-2011, 07:40 AM
John, it's your photo, your vision!:S3: I think you got some good feedback and different view points here. This should go in the direction you are comfortable. Your Water Lily series has been outstanding!

Steve Maxson
08-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi John. I like your last repost in pane #8. Brightening the reflection really helped and I personally find all the leaves interesting. I also like that the water is dark, but not pure black (just a personal preference). My one comment is that if you compare the flower with its reflection, it appears that the image needs some CW rotation. :S3: Overall, this is well done.

John Storjohann
08-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Again, thank you for the comments and suggestions. Jay, I appreciate your sentiment...I made myself the promise that I was going to listen openly to suggestions...in the end, it is my vision, but so far the suggestions made have really helped. Steve, I spent the last hour or so, with a variety of methods, trying to get the CW rotation done without ending up with the bottom space being too tight...haven't succeeded! The complex pattern in the leaves at the bottom are making it very difficult to clone/move/content aware fill...it may be that my PS skills just aren't quite there yet!

Bob Miller
08-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Hi John.....a busy image for me and would like to see the front of the flower....but as is ....it is still a beautiful image....I like the vignette and the viveza work you did