PDA

View Full Version : Top of the Mountain - Mt. Cook, South Island, NZ

Jay Gould
08-01-2011, 08:11 PM
I just received some great news about a medical condition that has been a serious concern; I am on the "Top of the Mountain"!

Camera: 7D
Capture date/time: 26 Apr 11; 3:48PM
Light condition: sunny
Lens: 70-200 f/2.8
Focal length: 70
Extender: none
Distance: Inf
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no
ISO: 400
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/30 sec
Aperture: f/13
Exp Comp:
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One shot
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR GND
Crop: 25%
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR 3 and then CS5

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Don Railton
08-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi Jay

Congratulation on the good news about the health...!

I love the colour on the mountain, but I am not so keen on the black whispy cloud stuff on the upper RH side or over the mountain. Looks more like smoke than a cloud. I can also see artifacts from processing forming a ghost image over the top of the mountain. The Maori name for this mountain means 'cloud piecer' and I think this image might look better if you retained the cloud below the peak and removed that above, but lets see what other think, I am usually in the minority...

I am very envious that you have the opprtunity to travel around NZ taking these photos..
DON

Dave Mills
08-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi Jay, Very happy to hear about your good news.

I love the light and the angle you took it at. I do see the ghosting over the mountain top as Don pointed out. I don't feel the clouds are strong enough to give them that much attention. I cropped out about 1/3rd of the sky and felt it strengthened the image overall...

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Hey Jay,
I was very happy to hear about the good news yesterday!:5 I like Dave's idea on the crop......but I would leave the cloud (sorry Don!). I have been at high altitude many times.....and this vividly brings me back to many a location as the sun started peeling off some wisps of clouds! I just love mountain peaks! I might tone down the whites a touch more and take care of the halo.....but all in all I like this one very much and congrats once again on the good news! :cheers:

Rachel Hollander
08-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Jay - Great news on the health front. I agree with the others about the halo. I don't mind the clouds and agree with Roman on the whites. The red makes it look like the mountain has been sprinkled with paprika. :e3

Congrats again on the good news.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
08-02-2011, 06:29 PM
The upper right cloud that some want to crop - I like it as is. The diagonal it forms with the peak to the UR helps to balance the image for me.

Congrats on the good news Jay.

Judy Howle
08-02-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm happy to hear that you got good news!

I like the image just like it is. Love the wispy clouds!