PDA

View Full Version : Sistine Chapel

dankearl
08-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Dave's photo's inspired me to go back and look at some photo's I took in Rome last summer.
This is the real thing, I did break the rules, although my tour guide said it was alright (not that it matters),
no flash used and handheld.
I wish I had my 10-24, I could have got the whole ceiling in one image.

1/10 (really)
18mm (18-55mm lens)
f3.5
iso400

DSC_0219_nx4.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=97835&stc=1&d=1312245157)

Dave Mills
08-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi Dan, I haven't been to Rome but it's on my list someday. The chapel is fabulous and your image gives the viewer an excellent view. Without shooting an HDR you captured good detail and exposure in all areas(even the windows aren't blown) Sometimes it's hard to judge where to crop something like this but you handled it well. Good one!

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Hey Dan,
Given your specs.....you sure did a fantastic job. Without the benefit of a tripod or HDR, you captured the detail very well and as Dave mentioned.....chose a very complimentary comp. Nice job on this difficult comp and exposure!

Rachel Hollander
08-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Dan - Since I was just there I know the conditions and you did well. I also know that you got away with one. The guards were very strict when I was there about absolutely no photos (even without flash) and were patrolling around.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
08-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Dan,

I agree with the above. I also felt the image needed some more oomph.

In PSCS5,

Shadow/Highlights opened up shadows and toned highlights. Also added mid-tone contast.
Using USM I did a local contrast enhancement at 20/50/0.
Output sharpening.

dankearl
08-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks Robert, yours actually looks more like the original I took which was sharper.
I saturated mine a bit before I downsized it for the site here as I feel that the downsizing is losing some of the color, but
actually I lost some sharpness.
Rachel, I was fortunate, I was trying to be polite, but a lot of people around me were snapping, ignoring the guards.
I just went for it, of course, no flash, as that is really over the line in this sort of place.
The 1/10 was real, I was just lucky with the sharpness, I didn't want to up the iso that much as I think high iso
is worse than less than perfect focus for something like this and I took a chance.
Thanks for the comments, the chapel is awe inspiring, maybe the finest artwork I have ever seen.

Judy Howle
08-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I think you have an amazing photo under the circumstances and Robert's tweaking really brought out the colors and contrast. I really was glad to see the chapel and now I know why I haven't seen photos of it before.