PDA

View Full Version : Bug

Steve Maxson
08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
I found this shy little bug nymph (Order Hemiptera, suborder Heteroptera) on a Black-eyed Susan flower. This may be one of the stink bugs - possibly Coenus spp. 5D II, MP-E 65 mm, 1/125, f/16, ISO 320, MT24-EX macro twin flash (diffused), HH. Some of the yellows were blown in the RAW file - I think they a mostly under control in this version. I ran nr on the OOF areas of the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Julie Kenward
08-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm certainly no expert on bugs (Ken can attest to that!) but I'd vote for stink bug, too. Normally, I'd say the center of the flower is too dark but I think in this case it works, Steve. It really anchors the image but doesn't detract from the great focus of the bug itself. Crop-wise, I'd take a slice off the bottom and a bit off the left side.

The details on the insect are amazing - as always!

Jason Stander
08-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Hi Steve... splendid capture... agree with ID... love all the colours in this image... your yellows look fine to me... exposure and detail on the bug is EXCELLENT... I agree with Julie on the comp... it would make more impact for the bug... otherwise fine image... WD!:w3

christopher galeski
08-02-2011, 05:54 AM
nice image Steve,good detail in the bug,and the flower for the BG,sets this image off.thanks.

John Storjohann
08-02-2011, 06:59 AM
A nice image, and I agree with the earlier comment RE taking a sliver off of the bottom of the composition. Great detail on the head of the bug...good use of your DOF through the image. Nicely done!

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Hey Steve,
I love the light and stinkbug! Can't believe you made even that look good!!! I'm going to go against the crowd here and recommend a crop off the top.....about 1/2 way through the petal. Why? That makes the center a more pleasing shape and makes the stinkbug look likes he's coming out of the corner on a diagonal. Browser crop to see. Just another option but an easy tweak to a fantastic image that is not only sharp where it needs it.....but very well lit too! :cheers:

Steve Maxson
08-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for your comments, folks - and I like the cropping suggestions - they will make some interesting alternate comps. :S3:

Adrian David
08-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Very nice "in the face" pose. I like your composition and the sharpness on the bug. Nice contrast to the flower.