PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron in free fall

Bob Miller
08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Took this at Bombay Hook NWR....Waiting for this heron to take flight, he suddenly just jumped off the ledge to the mud flat below....I liked the way the heron's thighs were accented as he fell
Nikon D-3s
500 mm
1/1600 at f5.6
ISO 1600
Eager to learn...so all comments welcome!

Joel Eade
08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
I like the unusual pose and interesting background / habitat

I would consider cropping off the right and top then adding some to the left if you have it.

Looks like you were very patient and yet we're ready when the action happened, well done.

Eric Patdu
08-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Great action shot. I have to agree about cropping the top part just below the cut grass.

Jeff Cashdollar
08-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Bob, I like the different look and unique action. Crop advise is a good tip and I might take a tad from the top and bottom, all subjective stuff. Edges might overpower subject. Possibly add a little pop to the heron (sat, vibrance, ect) and off you go. Thanks for sharing, things can happen fast out there. You were prepared for action - nice field techniques.

wendell westfall
08-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Bob, I kinda like it as is. The rushes at the top present a very interesting picture for my taste -- I'd hate to see them eliminated.

Don Railton
08-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Hi Bob

I like the Rushes too and would leave them. Would be happy to crop from the bottom however to just above the band of reflections in the water, and maybe enhance the bird a little more...

DON

David Stephens
08-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I would crop it square, but keep the full height. Nice.

Kerry Perkins
08-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Hi Bob, you did a nice job here to capture the action. I love it when an image generates so many crop suggestions, it means that there isn't much else to talk about as far as improvements! Excellent exposure, color, detail, and pose. My take on the framing is the same as Joel's, I would like to see the bird in the right part of the frame with the negative space on the left. In other words, move the bird over by one third of the image to the right. Everything else looks good to me!