PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn Sunset

Nick Palmieri
08-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Took a ride to Brooklyn yesterday with Roman K, Susan and Anthony Candelario, and Ben Venezio to shoot the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset. Although there were signs of a very promising sunset it was not to be. The bright tower with the cranes on top is the new Freedom Tower as this was the site of the twin towers. EOS 5DMK2, 24-105 at 24mm, tripod mounted with bubble level, 5 image HDR processed in Photomatix and PS. ISO 100, f/22, SS starting at 15s. I am debating on the clouds, as I can easily take the sky from a single image and replace it. Thought this was a little different.

Dave Mills
08-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi Nick, nicely handled technically and well framed. Shooting at F22 gave a nice starburst effect which added another element to the image. The clouds, while different, really don't bother me enough to warrant removal however I would like to see an image where the clouds are stationary in order to make a final call. I might look at cropping out about 20% of the water but it's a more personal preference...

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Hey Nick,
I actually don't mind the cloud movement at all.....it made a nice shape. I would be more agressive than Dave on the pano crop....taking about 2/3 of it out leaving 1/4 base and 3/4 skyline.....check with the browser crop to see what I mean. This accentuates the Brooklyn bridge length even more and keeps the focus on the skyline. Very nice colors and nice job bringing out the details too!

Rachel Hollander
08-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Nick - nicely done and I agree about cropping some of the water. Amazing at how smooth you got the water because it was fairly choppy a few hours earlier when I was out there on a boat.

TFS,
Rachel

Susan Candelario
08-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Hey Nick,
I happen to think skyline images look great when cropped into a pano. I like the smoothness and color of the water as well as the colors and details in the skyline. The effect in the clouds is neat too as are the starburst. Very nicely done! :5
~s

Robert Amoruso
08-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Nick,

I agree with the crop suggestions and would be aggressive with the water crop. I like the flow direction of the clouds and feel it works well for this image.

Nick Palmieri
08-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks everyone. Rachel, the blended long exposures will do that to the water. The crop is easy enough to do...guess I shouldn't have climbed down those rocks for a low angle...