PDA

View Full Version : In search of prey.

Marc Mol
07-31-2011, 10:51 PM
This female had been in courtship for over 5 days now and was desperately trying for a feed of buffalo but the pride male, still with romance on his mind wasn't providing much of a backup, nor were his two tag along bros.:bg3:

D3 500VR 1/1250s ISO200@ f/5.6 Moremi GR, Botswana Sept 2009 cropped 15% for composition.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Steve Kaluski
08-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Hi Marc, I feel a slightly tighter crop may emphasis the intense stare/gaze of the lioness. Having the mouth slightly open is a nice touch, however you have to feel sorry for her with all though flies. Like Morkels, will take another look tomorrow when I get back, but I just wonder if it would benefit from a little less either contrast and/or some Highlight/Shadow on the lioness in key parts?

TFS
Steve

Danny J Brown
08-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Hi Marc -- A compelling shot, especially with the water droplets and flies. Steve's comments regarding contrast are dead on, in my opinion. I also agree with Steve on composition but that issue is more subjective. Beautiful work, as always.

DB

Rachel Hollander
08-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Marc - have to feel for her with the flies and the hunger. The drops of saliva add to the feeling of hunger. Good advice above though I like how you've positioned her coming out of the llc.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
08-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Nice portrait Marc, love the green BG and the space in front of her. I do find that the lioness itself has a slight green cast which can be easily corrected. Steve has a point on lifting the shadows on her some too. :S3:

Marc Mol
08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Nice portrait Marc, love the green BG and the space in front of her. I do find that the lioness itself has a slight green cast which can be easily corrected. Steve has a point on lifting the shadows on her some too. :S3:

Thanks Morkel.

As I pay particular attention these days to colour casts, I'm fairly certain that it's pretty much spot on (from my cal monitor), I just cannot see a green cast here, just the natural strong and warm colours of early Botswana light. :bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
08-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks Morkel.

As I pay particular attention these days to colour casts, I'm fairly certain that it's pretty much spot on (from my cal monitor), I just cannot see a green cast here, just the natural strong early Botswana light. :bg3:

What I see is VERY slight...yet it might be my tired eyes...:bg3::w3

Steve Canuel
08-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Nice "pop" factor here with the separation from the BG. I like the touch of color provided by the water.