PDA

View Full Version : Marina Bay Sands

Troy Lim
07-31-2011, 09:36 PM

Shot taken in June while I was in Singapore. Not the easiest task to do as there were too many people walking along the bridge, causing the vibration for long exposure.

Camera Nikon D3S
Exposure 20
Aperture f/10.0
Focal Length 24 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash No Flash

Dave Mills
08-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Hi troy, technically you handled the image well. The image is sharp with enough reflected light on the clouds to give some interest. I put this in PS (lens correction) to see if I could change the leaning effect on the large building. I could but did not like the final outcome. If this were mine I would have not included the structure(bridge?) on the left. It's not that clear what it is so it unnecessarily draws the eye there and makes one try and figure out what their looking at. This has a tendency to take away from the overall. Interesting image!

Troy Lim
08-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Hi troy, technically you handled the image well. The image is sharp with enough reflected light on the clouds to give some interest. I put this in PS (lens correction) to see if I could change the leaning effect on the large building. I could but did not like the final outcome. If this were mine I would have not included the structure(bridge?) on the left. It's not that clear what it is so it unnecessarily draws the eye there and makes one try and figure out what their looking at. This has a tendency to take away from the overall. Interesting image!

I leaned as far right at that partIcupar spot while tripod is stable. Wish I could have avoided the bridge too.

Roman Kurywczak
08-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey Troy,
Good observations by Dave on the LH bridge and thanks for the added info! I don't mind WA lean in this case......as the other building are vert so this has a way of drawing me in. Interestingly, I may do a comparison on this shortly! You handled the exposure very well! I do wonder if then including a bit more of the bridge.....to get the curve of it may have also worked? You id mention poeple.....so that would have likely been an issue too! Now you know why I often have to go out at 2 or 3 in the morning!
All in all....this was nicely done!

Nick Palmieri
08-01-2011, 11:24 AM
This is a very nice scene. I like it a lot. Love the reflections! I took the liberty of using perspective control in CS5 to straighten things out a bit. I could go either way on the tilt of the building. I don't usually work on others images but had a few minutes to play..hope you don't mind, this was a quicky attempt to correct it.

Dave Mills
08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Nick, I like what you did to the dominant building!!

Troy Lim
08-01-2011, 01:14 PM
This is a very nice scene. I like it a lot. Love the reflections! I took the liberty of using perspective control in CS5 to straighten things out a bit. I could go either way on the tilt of the building. I don't usually work on others images but had a few minutes to play..hope you don't mind, this was a quicky attempt to correct it..

I love how you corrected the building. Mind sharing what you did? Thanks.

Jay Sheinfield
08-01-2011, 01:37 PM
The repost does it for me....................beautiful detail and lighting.

Nick Palmieri
08-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Troy, a very simple fix if lens correction doesn't work. For some reason my screen shots are not working so i will try to explain it. In CS5 select the crop tool. On the top bar next to opacity there is a check box labelled perspective. Check it, then grab the the corner of the box closest to the listing building (top left in this case) pull the tab across slowly until the crop tool line is even with the tilted building (be sure not to shorten it). Hit the check mark and like magic your building is straight. You may have to do it a few times and may then have to do it on the other side. Give it a try, doesn't always work but sometimes the perfect fix!

dankearl
08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Interesting and informative thread. I like the repost, but I don't mind the original.
These shots always look nice to me, I have never tried one.
The lighting and the city scene looks really good to me.

Robert Amoruso
08-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Troy, I like what Nick did with the perspective control.