PDA

View Full Version : The three stooges

Jamie Douglas
07-31-2011, 01:06 PM
I have been trying to photograph this family for the last 2 weeks but timing and light was never on my side. That all changed on Wednesday night.

Techs: 400MM @ F6.3// 1/320// ISO1250// Canon 7D with 400mm F5.6L

Steve Kaluski
07-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi Jamie, what are all the white specs in the top third of the image?

Steve

Jamie Douglas
07-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Lots of flying bugs and mozzies. I wasnt sure if they would be a distraction so I chose not to clone them out.

Steve Kaluski
07-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for that Jamie, always good to add that kind of info & time of day too etc, nothing like too much info. :w3

I recognise these guys, there were trying to hitch a ride to YVR :bg3:, but seriously, a nice, cute moment, love the expression and postures in this. Not sure how much DOF you gained, might have tried to drop to f/5.6 to gain a fraction more SS. Is this HH as weight I guess is around 3LBS, so perhaps being on a tripod/bean bag might help you in the future, but then, it doesn't give you the flexibility of movement. Am on the laptop so colour is not spot on so, but... to me the path looks a tad blue and the bushes behind look quite bright in colour, but I do like the pastel diffused BKG.

Hopefully you will get more chances to run into these guys, just look out for Mom. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
07-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Lovely shot of these 3 cuties, Jamie! Was the path they are on an asphalt path?? It does look a bit blue and might tone down BG brightness and do a bit of a shadow lift on the cubs (not much).

The mozzies don't bug me (pun intended :t3), but as Steve said always better to state this kind of info upfront lest you get a few comments about noise reduction :w3.
I might add a hint of sharpness to the bears as presented.

Marc Mol
07-31-2011, 11:04 PM
One of my favourite comedy acts Jamie!:bg3:
The BG has an almost fairytail look to it, love the composition, above nits as mentioned.
TFS

Jamie Douglas
08-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Hi guys, sorry for my rudeness posting this and then disappearing for a few days without commenting.

This was in fact taken at F5.6 Steve, I checked the techs again so my mistake. The light was poor at 8:30pm so I laid my bike down and rested my lens HH on the bikes brake and handle bar to steady it. Mum was too busy keeping an eye out for other bears to worry about me. I don't take any chances hence the lack of tripod so maybe I should invest in a bean bag. No matter how relaxed the bears I keep my wits about me as I encountered 14 bears that evening.

I definetly see what you mean about the colour cast and saturation. I must have gone overboard.

This is my route home to give you idea of the area: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aB-6LBR91oA/TjDuqmxiX1I/AAAAAAAAAI0/AYM9BPII1TU/s1600/IMG_3328.jpg

Thank you for the comments.

Steve Kaluski
08-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Cheers Jamie, nice route home, however no need to attach a link, just post as normal. :w3