PDA

View Full Version : Snow Melt, Ouray, CO

Jay Sheinfield
07-31-2011, 11:42 AM
This image is among my favorites of my recent CO trip. I wish I could post at about 12x20 as I am viewing it. It was taken along the Million Dollar Highway at about 11,000 feet just North of Ouray. The majesty of the San Juan Rockies was all but breathtaking.

PB OIL to enhance the details.................light layer of fog at the top to accentuate the height and depth. Some fill in work. It's hard to see the details at this scale, but I hope you like it. You might right click the image to save and enlarge in photoshop, just to get a sense of what is what like to be there................you will get some pixelation ;)

John Storjohann
07-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Jay, another great landscape from you...that must have been quite a trip! My only suggestion would be to possibly tone down the whites in the snow field closest to the right edge of the image..the one with the red rock outcrop just to the right of it...but it's a minor point. I need to get my head wrapped around PB. And I'm with you...I'd love to see a larger image of this!

Jay Sheinfield
07-31-2011, 12:15 PM
John, thanks..............yup, the whites are blown up there in the right and I'm not sure what to do about it yet.

Paul Lagasi
07-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Nice landscape, I don't know there's much you can do about the snow..sometimes I take two images, exposing for the snow, then another exposing for the grasses and rocks...later I can copy and clone the details of the snow into my photo...lolol..oh yeah thats called bracketing :tinysmile_shy_t:
The rocks add a nice touch of color...PB effect works well...Well done

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Hey Jay,
Nice diagonal flow to the image and great points brought up on the snowfield.....perhaps a darker reprocess to just get the snow and bringing just that back in? That area is one of my favorites in Colorado! You did a great job composing this....all it needs is a little tweak to make it shine!

Cheryl Slechta
07-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Jay, this is gorgeous. I love the line that leads you all the way through the image. It looks like a place you could spend a lot of time looking at:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
07-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi Jay, very nice comp and use of PB. I think Roman has the right idea for the snow section and then run the image through PB again. Nice capture!

denise ippolito
07-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Jay, The scene is gorgeous. I think that the subtle use of the PB filter works well here. Love the snow melt line going through the image at a slight diagonal. I agree w/ John regarding the snow on the right. Very lovely!:S3:

Jay Sheinfield
08-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks everyone.............

John, I'll see if I can figure out how to get that snow looking more real. Maybe Roman's idea might work. Thanks, again.

Jay Sheinfield
08-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Here my first attempt.....................not sure, but it appears to be bit less blown.

Indranil Sircar
08-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Lovely composition, Jay. Love the colors and I think you got the whites down a lot in the repost.

denise ippolito
08-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Nice repost Jay!:S3: