PDA

View Full Version : Lake Tekapo, South Island, NZ

Jay Gould
07-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Moving forward during KKY's amazing workshop we went to Lake Tekapo for our first star trails shoot with the Church of the Good Shepard as the primary subject matter. Late afternoon, before it was time to play star trails, we did an early sunset shoot around the lake shore.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 28/04/11; 3:30pm
Light condition: Clear with setting sun
Lens: 24-105
Focal length: 58
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no
ISO: 100
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/15 sec
Aperture: f/14
Exp Comp:
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One shot
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR RNDs and GND
Crop: minimal
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3, CS5, Pixel Genius Sharpening, Tony Kuyper Actions, NIK stuff too.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Jay Sheinfield
07-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Love colors in this image. The lighting is beautiful. My eye just keeps getting drawn to that horizontal blue line splitting the image. Just my opinion................Otherwise, lovely.

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey Jay,
Im looking at the sky here and the LH side looks wierd.....too red? Was there a smog or fire in the area? The band Jay is talking about is on most lake images but a tone down of a few points might help and is worth exploring in your rework ....but I am OK with it. I would do an LCE on the mountain range.....should make it pop. I do like the comp and the balance.....and the pano choice was also a good one.....just some sky rework for me.

Jay Gould
07-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Hey Jay,
Im looking at the sky here and the LH side looks wierd.....too red? Was there a smog or fire in the area? The band Jay is talking about is on most lake images but a tone down of a few points might help and is worth exploring in your rework ....but I am OK with it. I would do an LCE on the mountain range.....should make it pop. I do like the comp and the balance.....and the pano choice was also a good one.....just some sky rework for me.

LCE?

The color is in the cloud on the LHS. Will tone it down a bit.

Same with wind line on lake.

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2011, 02:35 PM
LCE?

The color is in the cloud on the LHS. Will tone it down a bit.

Same with wind line on lake.
LCE is local contrast enhancement......Robert has a sticky on it in tonal range tweaks. Here's the shortcut version....unsharp mask> amount 20 radius 28 threshold 0.......amount and radius are just starting points....you can go as high anywhere from 18-40 on the amount.........20-60 on the radius.....I always keep threshold at 0. Of course amount is subject to taste.....knowing your likes.... expecting something bold from you:bg3:!

Morkel Erasmus
07-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Nice pano presentation here Jay, with some great tones and detail in the mountain that would benefit from Roman's suggestions.
I too found that line on the lake a bit strange but then again I've never shot at a proper lakeside before. :e3

Jay Gould
07-31-2011, 06:52 PM
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAAEAAAABCAIAAAC Qd1PeAAAADElEQVQImWMoLKsHAALCAWfpjE/CAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCDid a few things: using Unsharp Mask (20%-50-0) I punched up the hills; using Auto Curves and a layers mask I removed the smog from the sky; and I did a light burn of the wind line in the lake. The "heat" is in the sky is definitely in the RAW too.

Jay Gould
07-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Nice pano presentation here Jay, with some great tones and detail in the mountain that would benefit from Roman's suggestions.
I too found that line on the lake a bit strange but then again I've never shot at a proper lakeside before. :e3

Hi Morkel, the line on the lake is a wind line running the length of the lake at that location.

Roman Kurywczak
08-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Hey Jay,
Mountains definitely pop.....I hadn't seen that "heat" before so glad you pointed out it was in the raw too! The slight tone down works for me so nice job with the suggested tweaks!

Dave Mills
08-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Hi Jay, a bit late here however I like the pano crop along with the beautiful lighting. In the repost good job of toning down the windline. Personally I don't mind the sky on the LH side. Not sure your repost is any better since your now showing a separation between the mountain and the sky as opposed to a blend. Enjoying your latest series...

Robert Amoruso
08-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Jay,

I like the original version better and the softer look of the mountains.

I like the FG rocks and how they help to balance the peaks but suggest lightening them somewhat. I tried a curves adjustment and lighted them to taste, filled the mask with black and then painted white on the rocks to reveal.