PDA

View Full Version : No really -

James Shadle
07-31-2011, 12:03 AM
No filters, no lights. It was no moon dark:bugeyed:. The color in the water is biolumenece from plankton in Tampa Bay.

Nikon D700, Tamron 28-75mm F2.8
ISO 3200 15 seconds @ F2.8

I set up a tripod on the boat and then used an anchor pin to splash the water for the duration of the exposure.

The water looks incredible while underway. I actually stopped the boat and took a look of the stern, it looked like I was dragging a light!

Paul Lagasi
07-31-2011, 04:15 AM
Very interesting image, looks like a view of space...this is something I would love to see.....thanks

denise ippolito
07-31-2011, 06:39 AM
James, I'm glad you explained the image. Neat stuff! I like the composition coming from the corner. I have never seen anything like it.:S3:

Julie Kenward
07-31-2011, 08:50 AM
I've seen this effect on television but never in person...how cool! From an image standpoint I'd add a tiny bit of darkness to the URC to match the lower corner but then I'm "got to have everything equal" gal. :w3

John Storjohann
07-31-2011, 10:15 AM
James, that is pretty incredible...is the luminescence from the plankton always blue? Eerily beautiful...thank you for sharing the story!

Judy Howle
07-31-2011, 10:25 AM
That's pretty amazing and I'm glad you explained what it was. Nicely presented!

Maureen Allen
07-31-2011, 10:33 AM
This is so cool. I've seen the glow from the plankton but never as clearly or brightly as this. A living underwater light show. Isn't it amazing?

Susan Candelario
07-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Cool & interesting image, James. I like the position in the frame of the biolumenece from the plankton.
TFS

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
07-31-2011, 11:37 AM
James,

Greetings. That is so cool! I've seen bioluminescence a number of times but not in a long while. Your shot reminds me of this phenomena and puts in mind the photographic possibilities. I thought at first glance at the image that it was from an airplane looking at a reflection from clouds...

Thanks much for posting this one.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Hey James,
Glad you posted it! This is sooooo coool! I am with Jules on darkening the URC.....make the curve more pronounced. Nice placement of the glow in the ROT position too. This must have been so cool to see in person. Any reason this happens only at certain times?

Andrew McLachlan
07-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi James, this is very cool!!! It does have an outer space look to it. Love it!

Indranil Sircar
08-01-2011, 08:10 PM
James, this is really cool composition. Great OOTB thinking! I almost thought it was a scene from Falling Sky!:t3

Kerry Perkins
08-01-2011, 11:05 PM
James, how cool to get an image of this. :c3: We have "neon surf" in southern California, and it is green like the glow sticks. You can stand on the beach and watch the breakers turn green at the top, such a cool thing to capture. Thanks for posting!