PDA

View Full Version : Hover fly on a buttercup

Tim Vidrine
03-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I was able to capture this image of a Hover Fly (Toxomerus marginatus) while roaming my backyard to try out my Canon 180 macro. The Bulbous Buttercup (Ranunculus bulbosus) flower is about 3/4 of an inch wide.

Cropped a bit off the right side. Desat the yellows. C&C greatly appreciated.

Canon 40D
Canon 180mm f/3.5L Macro + 1.4 TC + 75mm Ext. Tubes
1/200s f/11.0 at 252 mm iso400
No flash

Robert O'Toole
03-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Very nice image, the flower has an interesting shape and the focus is right on with great sharpness on the HF. Light is nice and soft.

the image looks slightly flat for some reason, maybe its the desat? An S-curve would really help it to pop off the screen.

Thanks for posting.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
03-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Curves and noise red on the BG only.

The repost looks more saturated. Question is does everyone like it with more punch?

Robert

Tim Vidrine
03-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Robert, thanks for taking the time to rework the image. I like the repost more than the original. What did you use for NR on the BG?

Thanks,
Tim

Roman Kurywczak
03-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi Tim,
Like the repost of Robert's. Maybe a hair of fill flash would have brought out the eyes more but as is, very nicely done,
Roman

Robert O'Toole
03-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Robert, thanks for taking the time to rework the image. I like the repost more than the original. What did you use for NR on the BG?

Thanks,
Tim

Glad you like the repost.

Well the NR program specifically is noiseware but PS NR would work perfectly fine in this case. I just used a Quick Mask/layer mask to protect the flower so that the NR would only effect the BG.

Robert

John Cooper
03-31-2008, 12:15 AM
A fine close-up of this tiny hover-fly and flower Tim. The Canon 180mm macro is a superb lens, I can attest to that!!
Robert's repost has made the image really pop but looks a little too saturated on my monitor. Somewhere in between should be a good compromise!!