PDA

View Full Version : Cicada Killer with Catch

Nick Palmieri
07-30-2011, 07:19 AM
Shot this guy in a local park. Roman and I were looking for dragonflies or butterflies but came across these guys. They were very strong and powerful little buggers but for some reason were using this kill more as a perch than breakfast..maybe they were full...7D, 180mm macro lens, twin-lite flashes at -2/3, ISO 640, SS 1/320, f/16. I cloned some green grass out of the BG.

Julie Kenward
07-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Super image, Nick! I really like the angle/placement of the insects in the frame. I especially like that you got that one eye on the cicada included. I can't see much that I'd change about this one - perhaps clone out the tiny darker area at the point just past the cicada's front knee on the ground. Lovely detail from end to end on the two insects!

Jason Stander
07-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Great shot Nick... detail, comp, angle, exposure and dof is all spot on... all around stunning capture!!!!:w3

Adrian David
07-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Excellent capture, with very nice details and colors!

christopher galeski
07-30-2011, 10:03 AM
nice image nick,good detail in the insects,I presume the one on top,is some sort of wasp,nice comp.thanks.

Roman Kurywczak
07-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Hey Nick,
Of course I still haven't worked on one.....so nice to see that the work paid off and we were very lucky to find this on a day that the light was perfect! This works for me all around and nice use of the flash to fill in the darker areas! :5:cheers:

Susan Candelario
07-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Excellent capture, Nick! I like the position of the killer and it's prey. Great details and use of fill flash. The killer looking at you puts this over the top for me. Good cleanup too, I might just tone down a bit the small bright area above the killers wing, but that is just me being picky and it's a very minor detail, considering the strength of the image. Overall it's Awesome! Good for you:5
~S~

Carel v/d Sanden
07-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi Nick
I love this picture.
beautiful sharpness, composition and BG.
2 beautiful species caught in one shot.
very nicely done.

Steve Maxson
07-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Hi Nick. We don't have these huge wasps up here, but I have seen them in Indiana - very impressive critters! Your image is impressive too - nice light, great DOF, excellent pose by the wasp, nice low shooting angle, and a good background. Very well done. :cheers:

A little biology for folks who aren't familiar with this species - The females dig a burrow in the soil and then go hunting for a cicada which they paralyze by stinging it. Then the wasp flies/carries/drags the cicada into the burrow where it also lays an egg. The burrow is sealed and the wasp starts the process all over again. When the egg hatches it has a ready (still living) food supply.

jack williamson
07-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Excellent exposure and comp Nick. Such good dof I can study both insects. Excellent flash use. That wasp appears to be giving you a warning look, that thing is huge! I held a cicada in my hand this morning and they are pretty large bugs. Great image!

Jack

John Storjohann
07-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Nick, that's a wicked capture...and that must be one huge wasp! I wouldn't change a thing.

Dave Mills
07-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Hi Nick, Good comments above with not much to add except well done in getting such an unusual shot at a great angle ,good light and sharp. Nice job!