PDA

View Full Version : Disaster Averted

Norm Dulak
07-30-2011, 07:18 AM
What could have been a disaster instead had a happy ending, when a young osprey attempting its first flight landed in the water. Fortunately, the bird was rescued by some children in a canoe, and returned safely to its nest.

This story was covered by the Chestertown Spy, in a narrative accompanied by a short video clip that is here: http://www.chestertownspy.com/field-guide-osprey-rescue/.

Later in the day the young osprey successfully soared. Enjoy.

Norm

Jeff Cashdollar
07-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Norm,

This story made my day and I thank you for the post. What a great ending and I love the part where the Osprey had a sense that they were there to help. We are all individuals and need each other.

Norm Dulak
07-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks Jeff.

Eric Weaver
08-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the post! I've seen a few Osprey nest platforms before. Never one quite this low to the water nor a nest quite this small. Had to chuckle about the leaving his scent on the chick comment. Very surprised the chick didn't put up a fight over the ordeal. I would guess exhaustion had set in and its time was very near. What a fantastic rescue!

John Chardine
08-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Nice story. If the chick left the nest naturally, it likely would have been OK anyway. Nevertheless, a great outcome.