PDA

View Full Version : Testing BB with Curve-billed Thrasher

Gus Hallgren
07-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi Folks;
This is the first time using the Better Beamer attached to my flash and looking for your opinion. First of all we have 10/10 clouds, and distance from the thrasher is 50' using a 600 mm lens hand held sitting down. The flash was set to TTL, distance 5.6ft - 58ft. Shot in JPG Very Fine Large

Olympus E3, Zukio 70-300 mm @ 600 focal length in 35 mm, Olympus FL50r with Better Beamer
Aperture Mode" F/5.6 1/250s. O EV, ISO 320 CWA

IMHO, not perfect, but accepatable????

Best regards

Gus

jack williamson
07-29-2011, 02:11 PM
First of all Gus, good to see you here again. The breast area looks a little bright and there is not alot of detail in the feathers. This could probably loose some on the left side.

Jack

Gus Hallgren
07-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi Jack:

Thanks for looking at my post, and when you mention no details in the feathers, I think that to get a better photograph I need to get closer & most of all I need to use a better lens & a tripod if I want shoot at close to that distance.

A lot to think about.

Best regards

Gus

Kerry Perkins
07-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi Gus, I agree that the bird looks soft and I think it is a tad overexposed as well. You were really tempting fate with that shutter speed and hand-holding a lens with that much reach. Love the pose and background, only wish for that prickly pear "ear" to be gone from the bg behind the tail. I don't know how heavy your lens is, but the tripod would be less of an issue with a higher ISO and resulting higher shutter speed. Good to see you here, love your posts in OOTB!

Ray Rozema
08-05-2011, 03:22 PM
You did well hand held, the head/eye look sharp. Good pose and eye contact. What about adding a little contratst to the breast area. Agree w removing the prickly pear