PDA

View Full Version : Lotus

John Storjohann
07-28-2011, 03:31 PM
This image of a lotus was shot at the Missouri Botanical Gardens in late June. I processed the RAW image in Lightroom and then touched up a few blemishes on the lotus pads in Photoshop.

Image information:

Camera: Canon Mark IV
Lens: 180mm
Exposure: 1/50 @ f/22

Comments and critiques welcome...looking to learn!

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Hey John,
Beautiful light and excellent comp. In the ideal world, that back leaf wouldn't go over the one petal.......but it is so minimal.....that it doesn't take away from the great details of the lotus. Only recommendation I can make is to darken the center of the leaf.....near the V of the lotus petals at about 1 o'clock. Just draws the eye too much. I would darken it or patch it as the same dark tones of the rest of the leaf.....and then it will be a home run! Minor tweak to an excellent image.

John Storjohann
07-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi Roman,

Thank you for your suggestion. I debated about that "center circle" on back leaf myself...I wasn't sure if it added a sense of depth or simply distracted...it's good to hear your comment about how your eye travels in the image! Is this something along what you had in mind?

Thanks again..I've been lurking for over a year and finally decided to join the party at the urging of a friend. I'm hoping to soak up as much knowledge/insight as I can.

Jay Sheinfield
07-29-2011, 12:48 PM
John, Great shot. The repost works for me! Wonderful details. Nicely placed in the frame.

Brendan Dozier
07-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Great looking bloom and nicely composed, John. Like the soft light & the green leafs make for a pleasant BG. Repost looks good, well done!

Julie Kenward
07-30-2011, 07:52 AM
John, this is beautiful! The deep greens create an awesome BG to the lightness of the flower. I like Roman's suggestions and the repost. What I really like here the most is the quality of light and the way it is diffused through the layers of petals - how bright it is at the top and how soft and deep it gets at that bottom petal with the water drops. Very nicely seen and processed!

Steve Maxson
07-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi John and welcome to the Macro forum - it's good to have you participating and that's the best way to learn also. :S3: As noted above, this is an excellent image - I really like all the subtle details you were able to capture in the whites. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Bob Miller
07-31-2011, 01:43 PM
John....Nice work on this. I am loving the light and the subtle tones you have captured here! Hope to see more of your work! A big welcome! :S3:

John Storjohann
07-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Thank you for the recent comments...I am amazed by the helpfulness of everyone, and humbled by the depth of their knowledge. Great to be here!