PDA

View Full Version : Bee Flying towards Cow Itch Flower (Lagunaria patersonii)

Brendan Dozier
07-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Taken at the botanic gardens. The bees were all over this tree which is native to Austrailia, so experimented with different angles. Liked that bee was in flight and clean BG on this, but more dof would have helped on flower. Debating whether to add room and build a flower tip on top. Tried pano, but liked more space below. Crop, ACR, CS5, NR on BG, touched up some spots around flower & bee, sharpening.

7D, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2.0x, HH
1/320
ISO 400

C & C welcome & appreciated,

- Brendan

Roman Kurywczak
07-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey Brendan,
Ideally I would have liked the entire bloom.....even if it fell OOF....as the 2 main components .......the bee and stamen.... are sharp! Great wing position....which isn't easy! I'm fine with just a crop off the bottom....to about 1/2 inch below bloom. Very nice job with a tough subjecct!

Norm Dulak
07-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Brendan.

I think Roman's points are excellent. But there is much to like here.

I especially enjoy the pollen sprinkled on the front of the bee and the loaded "saddlebags" on its legs, mute testimony to the success of its efforts. And the background really makes your subjects stand out.

christopher galeski
07-29-2011, 02:36 AM
nice capture,good BG,agree on cropping some off the bottom,well done.

Steve Maxson
07-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Hi Brendan. Great job of getting both the bee and the pistol/stamens in sharp focus and against a very nice background! I don't mind the falloff of DOF on the flower. This is such a strong image it might be worth trying to patch in a petal tip at the top. As is, I would prefer less room at the bottom. To my eye, all the extra room at the bottom makes it seem like the flower was inadvertently pushed off the top of the frame. :S3: Overall, this is very well done.

Brendan Dozier
07-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the comments & suggestions, you convinced me to make additional crop and add flower tip.
It helped I had another frame with tip in it. Here's the repost:

Norm Dulak
07-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the comments & suggestions, you convinced me to make additional crop and add flower tip.
It helped I had another frame with tip in it. Here's the repost:

The repost is terrific. Great work!

Steve Maxson
07-29-2011, 05:06 PM
The repost is very nicely done and definitely worth the effort!!

Don Lacy
07-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Wonderful image Brendan the repost fixes the few short comings of the original

Brendan Dozier
07-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated!