PDA

View Full Version : Broome sunset...

Don Railton
07-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Hi All

I took some R&R for a week at a North West Australian town called Broome. It's a popular destination for tourists, both local and international and especially so when the south of Australia has its winter. It has rich history as a pearling town in the past, I understand it is also one of the migatory bird entry points to Australia from the North, and you can take camel rides along the beach at sunset. These rides are very popular as is taking photos of the camels and the riders...Images of this are abundant in town to cater for the tourists who did not get it quite right... anyway, I thought I might try my hand also, so what do you think???

I used my 1D4 and a manual Zeiss 18 Distagon lens fitted with a Cir pol filter at F14 all sitting on a tripod. This Zeiss lens is my 'landscape' lens...
Shutter at 1/40 sec and ISO at 800 (oops, should have checked that..)
No flash and the presented is about 50 % of what I took. Lots of foreground and sky cut out.
AP mode, but not sure on any bias...

Thanks for looking.
DON

Roman Kurywczak
07-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Hey Don,
I think this is very interestiing and I like the position of the camel procession and where you placed the sun. I debated the amount of sky......the amount of base.....finally with a simple "browser crop"......I settled on taking out all the shadowed sand. Yes this puts the procession close to the bottom....but that seemed to make the image work better for me comp wise.....balancing the blue sky! I think that will make this work for me but let's see what others chime in.

Dave Mills
07-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi Don, This is a striking image! Love the silhouettes and the way their positioned diagonal to the clouds. I looked at Roman's crop suggestion and I liked it as long as the top is cropped to just above the clouds. This tightens the image and adds to it's already strong presentation. Nice one!!

Robert Amoruso
07-28-2011, 01:39 PM
I agree with Dave and Roman.

For my tastes, I would have preferred more separation between the lead camel and the sun.

dankearl
07-28-2011, 10:19 PM
I like this a lot. Suitable for framing, I like the pano, the image and the colors.

Don Railton
07-29-2011, 04:19 AM
I agree with Dave and Roman.

For my tastes, I would have preferred more separation between the lead camel and the sun.

Hi Robert

This was taken just before the last, maybe you prefer this image...? My though is this has too much seperation...

DON

PS. I would also like to thank the others for their comments and valuable input..

Nick Palmieri
07-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Really nice capture. I like the re-post mainly because the lack of the sun merging with the camel. I can go either way regarding cropping the FG.

Judy Howle
07-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Both are wonderful captures. I like the 2nd post because of the distance from the sun but I like the richer colors of the OP.