PDA

View Full Version : Along The Road, South Island, NZ

Jay Gould
07-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Stopping along the road the sun - at least for a moment blazed through the clouds - requiring a quick -1EV and then some more images were grabbed in the moment.

Camera: 7D
Capture date/time: 26 Apr 11; 11:15AM
Light condition: sunny
Lens: 70-200 f/2.8
Focal length: 70
Extender: none
Distance: Inf
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no
ISO: 400
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/500 sec
Aperture: f/13
Exp Comp: -1
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: AI Servo
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR GND
Crop: minimal
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR 3 and then CS5

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Don Railton
07-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Whoo Jay,

I like this and find it very inviting...The image has a nice splay of colour and terrain and is complete with the clingy white clouds that gave Aotearoa its name. I don't have any suggestions on how you might improve it however...

DON

Roman Kurywczak
07-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Hey Jay,
Clouds look a bit hot ......so I'd tone them down a bunch to get all the detail. As usual, we have to chose where to compose at the base.....and while the trees at the bottom arent too bothersome.....I can also envision this as a pano with all of the Greenish FG out (stop at the dead tree tops)! I think once you toned down the brightest band in the clouds, I'll re-evaluate the pano crop idea!

Dave Mills
07-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi Jay, agree with Roman on toning down the clouds a bit. However, I do like the comp as is. The different layers of green and color adds to the images interest and by cropping off the bottom the clouds even become more dominant. My suggestion would be to take out the center green tree top in the foreground....

Jay Gould
07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Hi Dave, I am a bit confused by your crop suggestions. Do any of you see an unacceptable purple cast? Thanks all for suggestions. As usual I will do some RPs after I understand the suggestions.

Roman Kurywczak
07-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Clouds appear a bit purple....mostly in the darker areas.

Robert Amoruso
07-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Jay,

I like the crop and agree on the cloud suggestions. Purple cast is present.

Dave Mills
07-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Jay, I can see how you can think I suggested a crop. I didn't...I liked the OP. I just stated that with the suggested crop the clouds become more prominent...

dankearl
07-28-2011, 10:26 PM
I like the comp, it is just too contrasty for me, and the light looks a bit harsh.
I would run a bit of NR and soften it a bit. Just a thought.

Harshad Barve
07-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Hey Jay , You have some rocking images from NZ
TFS

Jay Gould
07-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Dave - Good!! I played with crops and did not like any.

Mates over on NatureScapes indicated a magenta cast. I did an Auto Curves at 35% - that was as far as I could take it and not remove too much of the warmth where it belongs.

Dave Mills
08-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi Jay, I started working on the image and a friend came over and pulled me away. When I came back I had a brief power outage and lost the work. I selected the areas Iwanted to change and used selective color to get rid of the cast. The center white mountain and areas to the rt took their natural color. What surprised me was that some areas on the mountain are green(trees) and not magenta. It's a good tool to learn how to work with and suggest you play with it.

Jay Gould
08-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi Jay, I started working on the image and a friend came over and pulled me away. When I came back I had a brief power outage and lost the work. I selected the areas Iwanted to change and used selective color to get rid of the cast. The center white mountain and areas to the rt took their natural color. What surprised me was that some areas on the mountain are green(trees) and not magenta. It's a good tool to learn how to work with and suggest you play with it.

Thanks Dave, can you describe the use of the tool in a bit more detail - education for everyone. :S3: