PDA

View Full Version : close up common meadow brown butterfly

christopher galeski
07-28-2011, 05:13 AM
took this the otherday,went for a close up of the head and body,commentsgood or bad welcome,cannon 7D,100mm macro f/2.8,IS,L,usm,tripod,f9,1/50s,iso400,crop,bit of sharpening.thanks.ps. the eye may look a bit out of focus,but it is not,this is how the eye looks.thanks again.

Jason Stander
07-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Stunning detail Christopher... comp is good... I would have maybe gone for a f14/16 to get the detail of the flower... otherwise great overall... WD!:S3:

Brendan Dozier
07-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Really like the woolly detail on this butterfly, Christopher! Nice light, exposure, BG and that eye is awesome! Agree some more dof would have helped for flower, but very nicely done!

Roman Kurywczak
07-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Hey Christopher,
Yep....I'm with Jason on the DOF. I feel the main reason is that the head of the bloom is birght.....and adding the OOF element just isn't working for my tastes....even though you have the focus in a perfect spot! You are doing quality work.....just the shallow DOF isn't working for me on this one.

christopher galeski
07-29-2011, 02:46 AM
thankyou everybody for comments,Roman,I chose to blur the flower,so that the butterflys head and body stood out more,but I understand were you are coming from.thanks again everybody.

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2011, 09:02 AM
thankyou everybody for comments,Roman,I chose to blur the flower,so that the butterflys head and body stood out more,but I understand were you are coming from.thanks again everybody.

Thanks for the update! Sometimes it works for me.....sometimes....:e3

Steve Maxson
07-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi Christopher. Excellent detail on your butterfly (cool patterns in the eye) plus good comp and background, but I'm with Roman on this one. :S3: Because the top of the flower is so bright, it quickly draws my eye there - and my brain is a bit disappointed that it isn't sharp. I think this shallow DOF would work much better if the butterfly was on a darker perch as it would be easier to focus our attention on the butterfly itself.