PDA

View Full Version : Lens pen

Giulio Zanni
03-30-2008, 06:21 AM
I would need your help on the use of the lens pen for sensor cleaning. Is the small grey one or the bigger white one for sensor cleaning? Should I tamp the tip of the pen on the cleaning cloth every time prior using the pen or only the first time that I use it?

Many thanks, Giulio

Arthur Morris
03-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Giulio, YOu were supposed to e-mail me for the directions. I will send them to you now.

later and love, artie

ps: You must have been meditating too much and forgot...

Giulio Zanni
03-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Many thanks Artie,

I have just received them :-)

Giulio

Robert O'Toole
03-30-2008, 04:34 PM
For everyone else, Birds As Art sells a lens pen combo kit with includes a normal size lenspen and a small diameter version.

Artie and I recommend that you use the large size for you lenses and use the small dia for sensor cleaning.

I have been lens pens for 10 years and have been using them for cleaning sensors for more than 5. If you havent tried them I recommend that you do. With a sensor scope it takes less than 5 minutes to have a completely spot free sensor. The combo is simple and easy to use.

see: http://www.birdsasart.com/lenspens.htm for more info.

Robert

Arthur Morris
03-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Many thanks Artie, I have just received them :-) Giulio

YAW. :):D:o;):cool::eek:

BTW, with the Sensor Scope it's more like 2 minutes tops...

later and love, artie

mikeojohnson
03-30-2008, 08:42 PM
I would offer the following: If you stop way down, like f/22 you might find that the lens pen doesn't get all the dust or spots.

Having said that, I have found that the lens pen approach with a sensor scope ( I use the one from Visible Dust which is brighter and clearer, in my opinion) work great and have significantly reduced the time to clean a sensor.
Mike

Arthur Morris
03-31-2008, 04:52 AM
I would offer the following: If you stop way down, like f/22 you might find that the lens pen doesn't get all the dust or spots.Mike

Hi Mike, If used correctly (by folks following our detailed directions) on a sensor that has not been neglected for months, the Lens Pen can usually get rid of 99+% of the dust spots. As I have written in Bulletins, it is not possible to see f/22 dust (which can be microscopic) with any Sensor Scope. We advise folks who will be working at very small apertures (when creating scenics, macro images, or intendtional blurs, for example) to do a create a test image after cleaning the entire sensor with the Lens Pen.

If you are working at relatively wide apertures, the Sensor Scope will see all the dust that would effect your image and the Lens Pen can easily remove it without having to clean the whole sensor.

To sum up, we can routinely get sensors well more than 99% perfectly clean by using the Lens Pen properly. I have done just that dozens of times in front of large IPT and seminar groups. And we have done so on sensors that looked as if they had had a full vacuum cleaner bag emptied right on them.

later and love, artie

Jim Poor
04-02-2008, 05:38 PM
I have to say that Artie cleaned my D3 sensor real fast during the IPT. We were in a rush out the door and one of the participants needed a demo. All in all minus the passing the camera around to see how dirty it was at the start and how clean it was at the finish I don't think it took him more than about 30 seconds of actual cleaning.

Mind you, the sensor hadn't been neglected, but I did have a few spots including one MAJOR pain right in the center. No spots after the cleaning (even at f22 and higher). I too, however, forgot to e-mail for the directions . . .