PDA

View Full Version : Lotus blossom in back, white and sepia............

Jay Sheinfield
07-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Nikon d3, 600mm 1/15 sec @ f/36. Close crop on this one..............BG darkened. Some leaves removed.

Comments welcome.................

bhavya joshi
07-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Beautiful flower with beautiful sharp composition..Jay. combination of white and sepia look great with dark BG. Lovely shot..:S3:

Norm Dulak
07-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Hi Jay.

You've done an excellent job of capturing and presenting an interesting subject. Possible suggestions would be to lighten the dark, lower elements just a bit, and to add a little more space around the blossom, especially around the sides.

But well done!

Jason Stander
07-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Love the image... great conv... I would remove all the area below the flower... so that ths concentration is on the flower... other great detail on the flower... well exposed! WD!:S3:

Brendan Dozier
07-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Really like this image and composition, Jay. Nice light, and I think the B&W and sepia work well. Wasn't sure about the lower part at first, but I think it works in a subtle way. Agree with Norm on more room around blossom. Nicely done!

Roman Kurywczak
07-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Hey Jay,
I'm with Norm on theis one....just lighten the lower leaf and a hair more space....and this works for me.

Jay Sheinfield
07-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone, great feedback.............lighten with a bit more breathing room, will do!

Steve Maxson
07-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi Jay. Usually I'm not a big B&W fan (just a personal preference), but the sepia tone on the leaf gives it an unusual look and makes the image for me. I would agree with the tweaks suggested above - a little more space and a bit brighter. This is very nicely done.

John Storjohann
07-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Jay, I like the composition on this one, and I love the curve of the leaf against the stem, as well as your use of DOF as the leaf fades to black. It would be interesting to see the image in color as well, for comparison.

Adrian David
07-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I like the composition, but... I would rather like the real colors on this one. I think that this exemplar of lotus flower have no perfect petals, and it is not strong enough to gain from the BW conversion. Maybe It is a different species, and I am mistaken, but nevertheless, IMHO, the BW conversion, doesn't ad interest in this case.

Bob Miller
07-31-2011, 01:37 PM
I have to agree with Adrian on this one! As a B& W I would like to see a stronger white and better composition on the flower. I do very much like the leaves atthe bottom and the sepia effect works nicely for me.