PDA

View Full Version : Piping plover chick

gail bisson
07-27-2011, 06:34 PM
I have been struggling in PP to make this picture work but just can't seem to make it pop. This is a big crop 50% so maybe the crop is just too big for IQ. Any advice on how to "fix" this picture would be greatly appreciated. Don't be afraid to tell me to delete it if picutre is not salvageable.
gail
Canon 7d 100-400mm lens at 400m
ISO 500mm
SS 1/2000
Aperture 5.6

Jeff Cashdollar
07-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Gail,

I love the simple moment you captured. IMO the main issue here is DoF not post production. I would slice off the OOF part of the bottom,..about where the brown meets the gray. There is almost a soft line separating the two colors. This would probably make the background full of negative space and might remove some from the top too.

I would lighten the eye and sharpen the subject as well. The trade off with the large crop was IQ and the subject is not critically sharp. I do love the inclusion of the habitat this is my favorite part. On balance, I like the shot, nice low angle, love the round rocks and the feeding moment with one worm is both simple and beautiful.

gail bisson
07-28-2011, 04:55 AM
Here is a repost with your suggestions jeff. Thank you for your help.It looks better but it isn't a "wall hanger" that's for sure. I think you are right when you say critical focus on the chick just isn't there
Gail

Geoff Warnock
07-28-2011, 08:00 AM
As photographers (pro or amateur) on a photography forum I think we are sometimes too critical, especially over things like critical focus.

I think this is a really powerful image, and most people, especially non-photographers, would go 'WOW' very quickly. The open space emphasises the little fellow and the smooth beach pebbles give me a kind of japanese zen garden feeling.

Either crop works well for me, though I'll accept it's not really one for a large print with the technical issues already discussed.

wendell westfall
07-28-2011, 11:35 AM
gail, cute little guy. You might consider a very narrow pano crop, taking off a lot from the top.

Jeff Cashdollar
07-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Gail,

Both look good, I tend to favor the repost,. the light on the chick and my eye is drawn to the subject. Thanks for the work, nice post production technique.

Kerry Perkins
07-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Gail, really cute little chick and I think the repost rocks! Good points made by Jeff above. I do like the fact that you lightened the shadow areas a bit, as that was going to be my first suggestion. A more favorable sun angle would have lit up the chick better and make it stand out from the background.

Geoff, I have to disagree with you here. The whole point of this forum (especially) is to critique images that are submitted. I think that is what people expect when they post here. Critical focus is about as basic as it gets in any form of photography and we would be remiss to not mention it or any other aspect of an image that could be improved. There is nothing to be learned from "wow!" or "great shot!".

Geoff Warnock
07-29-2011, 04:59 AM
Kerry, I don't by means suggest that we stop critiquing, only that sometimes there is a tendency to only comment on technical issues, rather than 'artistic' merit.

Jeff Cashdollar
07-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Geoff,

Every one has the ability to comment as they wish, that is the purpose here. Some are more technical and others on the softer side. This adds to the richness of the feedback - it is an education site.

Kerry Perkins
07-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Geoff, I understand your thinking. I see both sides of the craft, as OOTB combines good technical images with an emphasis on the artistic side. I do agree that we (I) tend to be more technical in my critiques in ETL, but I don't ignore the artistic side. I do believe however that good art starts with a good capture and feel compelled to comment on technical issues that will make the artistic aspect stronger. I appreciate your comments and am always open to discussion. :c3: