PDA

View Full Version : black rhino

peter delaney
07-27-2011, 02:49 PM
D3 600mm 1/400 f4 iso 6400 wimberly head car bracket...

just managed to get a glimpse of this black rhino , not easy at twilight... :S3:

Hilary Hann
07-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Peter, I've looked at this a few times looking for some analytical feedback but have decided that I have nothing technical to add just that I really like the ethereal feel of the image. No harshness in the photo but it isn't dull either. Whatever you did to optimize the file, works for me.

Nancy Bell
07-28-2011, 08:15 AM
I really feel this rhino coming out of the brush in the twilight. The combination of the hazy grasses and foreground tree with the sharper rhino and darker background tree put together a powerful image. Amazing how high one can now go with the ISO!

Rachel Hollander
07-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Peter - I like your conversion and the comp. Did you apply NR to the whole image? Just wondering why there is no texture in the rhino's body.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
07-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Interesting framing here Peter. Not too sure about whether it works for me or not - kind of on the fence. I'll have to return to view it a few times, which is never a bad thing to accomplish with an image :w3
The tonal range looks good as usual. I hear what Rachel is saying, perhaps the rhino could be selectively sharpened just a tad...very slightly.

Do you have any with more space on LHS? If not, how about a crop from RHS to the stem of the OOF bush?

Steve Canuel
07-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Peter,
First thought was that there's too much OOF bush occupying the frame but after a few visits I decided I like how it provides an "obstacle" for the rhino to run around and out from behind. Agree with Hilary on the sharp/dull comment.

John Ippolito
08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
The more I look at this, the more I like the composition with the OOF elements and the rhino's path to the viewer. I also wonder about the sharpening of the rhino or if NR was used.