PDA

View Full Version : Starfish at sunrise

Bob Miller
07-27-2011, 01:41 PM
I took this Lady Elliot Island off the coast of Australia. The wind was blowing really hard creating ripples that i was trying to minimize without alot of luck. Starfish was found on beach and placed on reef.
Nikon D-300
12-24 mm
1/6 sec at F13
ISO400
Fill flash
Comments welcome!

Roman Kurywczak
07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Hey Bob,
Not the easiest task you gave yourself but I think you handled it very well! I love the colors in the water and a nice thought to use the flash as fill....but I may tone it down a fw points around the LH side and a bit more on the rhh side....just to smooth out the transition. I'm going to beat Jay to it:bg3:....but appears you need a touch of CW rotation. I might pull back a bit on the reds closest to the sun.....but I don't mind it being bright as that's what yo uwould get if you were actually lokking at it. Small tweaks will make this a winner!

Dave Mills
07-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Hi Bob, An interesting capture and not easy to handle technically.Good job on the fill flash due to it not looking flashed. Agree on the CCW rotation and the toning down a bit otherwise well done!

Don Railton
07-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi Bob

I too love the image concept and the colours you have captured. Agree with rotation and my only suggestion would be to take this shot about 2 minutes earlier before the sun rose quite so far so you dont get the dominant white hot spot of the sun.

DON

Jay Sheinfield
07-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Nice image, Bob, Beautiful colors, and great thinking to use the flash on this one.

Jay Gould
07-28-2011, 08:15 AM
Nice image; certainly needed an RND hard stop to contain the sun.

Roman - you win! :5

Robert Amoruso
07-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Bob,

Good suggestions above that I agree with.

Morkel Erasmus
07-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Nice light and interesting composition here Bob! I think you have a dust bunny top RHS :t3