07-27-2011, 12:28 PM
canon 7D
100-400mm at 390
ISO 400
f 6.3
SS 1/1600
PP in LR3 and NR and sharpening done in CS5
Cropped by 40%
I saw this beauty while walking on the beach. They are so skittish and shy that I am pleased that I was able to get this with my 100-400mm
Comments and critiques always welcome

Clemens Vanderwerf
07-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi Gail,
You are going at it lately! Wonder what would have happened if you moved down and had less rock and more blue water as bkgd. You would also have separated the tail feathers from the rock. But maybe by the time you kneeled down it might have flown away already. I like the blue on blue (bird and water).

Melissa Groo
07-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Really like this shot, Gail. i too know how difficult it is to get close to one of these, haven't got anything as nice as this.
I see what Clemens means but I also like the colors and texture of the rock a lot. Did you do something to blur the background rock on left?
Beautiful colors, sharpness, mood to this.

gail bisson
07-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi Gail,
You are going at it lately! Wonder what would have happened if you moved down and had less rock and more blue water as bkgd. You would also have separated the tail feathers from the rock. But maybe by the time you kneeled down it might have flown away already. I like the blue on blue (bird and water).
Clemens,
I was on my belly for this shot. The rock was a huge boulder so this was the best angle I had!
Melissa,
I didn't do anything to the rock. Thanks for the comments-really find them helpful
Gail

Karl Egressy
07-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Gail, this is fantastic.
One of your best pictures so far IMO.
Love the rocky habitat, the light and the perky pose of this beauty.
Well done.

dankearl
07-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Unusual perch for these guys, I like it.
They are shy and hard to get.
Well done.

denise ippolito
07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Gail, I like this as presented. The rocks add so much interest and this image is unique. Great job w/ the 100-400mm!!:S3:

noelle zaleski
07-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Love this image Gail!

These are tough ones to get an image of.... you did a great job.

His rock perch makes this image since it is an unusual spot for one to be sitting.

NICE! :S3::S3:

Brendan Dozier
07-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Beautiful bird and like the low angle and how you composed the shot, Gail. There's a nice balance of warm & cool color.

Mitch Carucci
08-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Gail,

Really nice. Kingfishers are hyper skittish. We have one (or his prodigy) that shows up every year about now. He sits on our railing early in the morning. Even if I stay inside the house, and in the shadows, as soon as I try to raise my camera, he is off.

This photo is nice as it is, but if I were to suggest anything, a slightly lighter BG might allow more separation with his dark head feathers.

Love the photo though.

M.