PDA

View Full Version : Ueno Park, Japan

Ron Bernstein
07-26-2011, 09:34 PM
I was hand holding a Nikon D3 with the superb Nikon 50 mm 1.4G lens at 1/100 @ f9 trying to get a good shot of the reeds, water and clouds when I noticed birds going back and forth. I picked my spot for a reflected bird and waited. Luck took care of the rest. ISO 200. At the end of post, before sharpening, I added a frame from Silver Efex Pro 2. Comments welcomed! Thanks!

Ron Bernstein
www.ronbernsteinphotography.com/ (http://www.ronbernsteinphotography.com/Travel/Japan/i-88VpGst/0/L/Ueno-ParkDSC5650-L.jpg)

Jay Gould
07-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Mate, not luck; patience - one of the most important tools in our kit!

I would remove the yellow leaf and stem on the LLC as it is out of place to the rest of the image.

Also about 40% from the bottom on the left side the is a short white line that needs to disappear.

This would be very interesting to see in a very large version.

Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
07-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Hey Ron,
I have to be honest......when I first opened this I thought I would hate it!.......come to find that this has a very japanese painting like feel to it. The tones are great and while the image is a bit busy........it seems to have an overall harmony......with the bird putting it over the top! Minor clean up of the yellowish floaters at 7 o'clock and about 8:30.....but rather surprisingly.....this one works for me all around!

Dave Mills
07-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Hi Ron, agree with the cleanup suggestions and liking simple images my first reaction was one of being too busy. After studying it for awhile I can see it's merits. It's a unique idea and I laud you for even seeing it. I looked at a small crop from the top below the first large leaf and liked it. It still conveys the same feel but gives a bit more strength to the birds reflection....another idea.

Bob Miller
07-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Ron.....Placing the bird in a central position helped because of the very busy bg. Despite the busy feel I still like it but would agree with Dave a crop from the top helps

Ron Bernstein
07-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions, all of which are reflected in this newly cropped version. i note there were no comments on the framing. I suppose it's very personal, but I'm a big fan of this feature set in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2. Thanks again to each of you!

Roman Kurywczak
07-28-2011, 12:14 PM
I do like it better. I didn't mention the frame.....as I generally don't like them.....but I thought this fit well with your image!

Robert Amoruso
07-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Ron,

Great job on the repost. Excellent image for all the reasons mentioned. Great job seeing the possibilities here and that is the hardest part of being a photographer - seeing the image - and you did that in spades here.

Ron Bernstein
07-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Thank you all for your kind and helpful comments!