PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy at Wolf Creek Pass Overlook

Jay Sheinfield
07-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Three nights before I took this image, a trucker lost his life, as he failed to negotiate the ninety degree curve at the Wolf Creek Pass Overlook, and drove off the road plummeting over one thousand feet to the valley floor below. He did not use either of the two emergency truck stop ramps on the 7% decent just before the Overlook, and only his brake skid marks remain. This image was taken at the overlook, just ten minutes before I learned of the accident. It haunted me for days............

This photo was taken about thirty minutes after sunset. Major light work with NIK Tonal Contrast, slight glow for effect, shadow work with Nikon Capture NX2.

denise ippolito
07-26-2011, 09:24 PM
I think the image seems more haunting to me after reading the story. That is so sad. Looks like a steep drop. You did a great job with the tonal range and the colors. The sky is a wonderful addition to the image.

Jay Sheinfield
07-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Denise, thanks. I managed the courage to venture part way out on the crest of the nearest peak in the photo............it is a vertical drop! After a bit of vertigo I found my way back.......very, very slowly. You know that bit about don't look down, it doesn't work. Within 72 hours a memorial marker was erected on the shoulder of the road just before the curve.

denise ippolito
07-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Jay, I always hate to see those roadside memorials, they make you stop and think just how fragile life really is and what is truly important.

Jay Sheinfield
07-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Denise, yes. There is a great line in the movie, "City Slickers", where Jack Palance turns to Billy Crystal, and with one stretched-out finger says, "Do you know what the secret to life is...............One thing. You stick to that, and the rest don't mean s*** ". Love that movie. :S3:

Kerry Perkins
07-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Hi Jay, I like this a lot for the lovely tonal range and moody feel. It is sad to hear these things and unfortunate that the event is attached to this image in your mind. It is a very nice spot.

denise ippolito
07-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Denise, yes. There is a great line in the movie, "City Slickers", where Jack Palance turns to Billy Crystal, and with one stretched-out finger says, "Do you know what the secret to life is...............One thing. You stick to that, and the rest don't mean s*** ". Love that movie. :S3:

:S3::S3::S3:

Nick Palmieri
07-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Like the composition but not thrilled with the sky, since this is OOTB I may bring some of those white clouds over to the darker sky...just a thought...I'm getting a good feeling of scale.

Roman Kurywczak
07-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Hey Jay,
The story fits with the dark mood of the image but for me, I would like to see a touch more sepration between the cliffs and rocks and BG trees.....perhaps even lightening the lone tree at the top a bit? Just some thoughts and I have seen some of those runaway truck ramps out in CO......scary stuff!

Jay Sheinfield
07-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Roman, definitely agree on the separation. I thought of standing on the roof of my truck, but gave that up.

Roman Kurywczak
07-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Glad you didn't go on the roof:eek:!!!....as I meant in PP'ing! Just lightneing therock a few points and maybe making the tree at the tip stand out a bit more?

Paul Lagasi
07-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Very interesting image and story, I for one can't drive some of those roads, I'm not bad if the drop off is on the passenger side.

Some good advice above...Well done

Jay Sheinfield
07-28-2011, 06:17 PM
you should try the drive to Ouray......passenger side or not it's a white knuckle experience.:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
07-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi Jay, sad sorry, good advice given above for the very nice comp.

John Storjohann
07-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi Jay.

It's a sad story...and I like the composition of the image...but I'd like to see the foreground lightened just a bit, the rocks and the foreground pine...it might give the image a bit more depth. I really like the small, windblown pine at the top of the left spire as well..maybe lighten it a bit to give it some separation from the background? Just thinking out loud..

Jay Sheinfield
07-29-2011, 11:46 AM
John, good feedback................