PDA

View Full Version : Corral at Durango, Colorado

Jay Sheinfield
07-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Taken late morning in strong sun. A quick photo on the way to the Colorado Million Dollar
Highway. Nikon D3, 31mm, 1/50, F/22.

Thanks for the look. Feedback wanted...........

dankearl
07-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Very nice idea, the corral is great and I like the b&w a lot.
It appears soft to me, maybe intentional, but I would like it bit sharper, especially the background.
A really good comp in my opinion, my eye moves around the corral.
The clouds are nice and it doesn't appear to be in harsh light, so well done.

Jay Sheinfield
07-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback........... posted without sharpening, here you go..........

Dave Mills
07-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi Jay, good choice of going to B&W when your dealing with harsh light. I like how you framed the image using the fence as a foreground and a leading line.When shooting this image at F22 your range of front to back should be sharp and it isn't. Not sure why unless there was a very mild camera shake which is possible at 1/50. If this were mine I would evict the 3 posts on the rt.

As soon as I posted my comments I saw that you sharpened the image. A definite improvement!

Jay Sheinfield
07-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Hi Dave, I blew it up to 100%, camera shake it is................:e3 I didn't have my tripod with me, and should have hiked the ISO to compensate. Hopefully with some sharpening I can save the image. I have mixed feelings on the right posts, and will consider cloning. Thanks, good feedback.

Ron Bernstein
07-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I love the action created by the circular journey the fence posts take me on. I would have to see a version without those three fence posts to decide, but I thought they anchored the right side of the frame and created other lines. I don't know what you used to convert to B/W, but I wondered how some of the frames in silver efex pro 2 would look on this fine image.

Jay Sheinfield
07-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Ron, thanks for the feedback. I used a combination of Nikon NX2 and PS for the B&W conversion. I have Silver Efex and might try a few different options, to see what that does.

Ron Bernstein
07-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Ron, thanks for the feedback. I used a combination of Nikon NX2 and PS for the B&W conversion. I have Silver Efex and might try a few different options, to see what that does.

You're welcome, Jay. Only SEP2 has frames, I think. The upgrade is worth it!

Roman Kurywczak
07-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Hey Jay,
Bummer on the camera shake......heck.....you've got the D3 so I wouldn't worry about ISO!!! You comp was excellent IMO on this one....I could lose the 3 posts.....but not a deal breaker for me. I hope you can sharpen this one up as it has great potential!

Bob Miller
07-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Jay...I like your composition....not sure about the 3 posts on the RHS.....really cool sky!

Jay Sheinfield
07-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Trying to sharpen better.......................sans three posts.:S3:

Robert Amoruso
07-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Jay,

I like it with the three posts in. Seems that my eye likes to skirt around the coral and look past on the right side w/o those posts.

Looking good with the sharpening.

Jay Sheinfield
07-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks everyone. Good feedback. The jury is out on the 3 fence posts. Glad to hear the sharpening is having a positive effect.

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm kind of missing the 3 posts now:e3