View Full Version : My first (and only) Peregrine Falcon

Raul Quinones
03-29-2008, 10:17 PM
At Merritt Island @ Jan 2008
Canon 40D, 500mm, 1.4 TC
1/100s f/7.1 at 700.0mm iso400, +1EV

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Great image Raul, the only thing I find that does not belong to the image is the green on the branches. but besides that is a great image of a beautiful bird.

John Cooper
03-30-2008, 01:04 AM
A nice composition of this Peregrine facon Raul. the pose and head turn are good but I would like to see a little more light on the face/eye. I suspect the green coloration on the dead wood is lichen.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-30-2008, 06:31 AM
Nice find and setting. I like the soft light and details, a catchlight would have been nice. Have you tried to use fill flash in this series?

John Chardine
03-30-2008, 07:17 AM
These are great birds. I like the minimalist look of the perch and the bird. They fit very well together. As a general rule I am not a fan on images of birds in trees because you are usually shooting up at the bird and not at eye level. The classic Bald Eagle in a tree is a case in point.

Raul Quinones
03-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Nice find and setting. I like the soft light and details, a catchlight would have been nice. Have you tried to use fill flash in this series?

Axel,

Thanks for comments. I have found that when shooting predators the use of flash introduce red eye... I have several pictures with fill flash (better beamer at -2) and the feather details looks better, but ruins the eye. I may try to work one of the shots using flash.

Raul

Maxis Gamez
03-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Fill flash would bring the colors a little more but I like the composition and soft light. Sometimes we don't have time to set up the flash!

Maxis Gamez
03-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Axel,

Thanks for comments. I have found that when shooting predators the use of flash introduce red eye... I have several pictures with fill flash (better beamer at -2) and the feather details looks better, but ruins the eye. I may try to work one of the shots using flash.

Raul

If you raise your flash higher from the lens, you won't have that problem. I had the same issue with my 500 and I made a custom bracket and problem taking care of. You can always buy an external bracket from Wimberly.

Dieter Schaefer
03-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Nice composition, like the angle and the perch. Image looks a tad dark on my monitor - tried brightening it a little. Also worked on the natural catchlight to make it a bit more prominent.

Steve Maxson
03-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Very nice image, Raul! I like what Dieter has done with the eye. Wish this was mine - if it was mine, I would consider cloning out the little branch stub directly across from the bird's head. When I look at the bird's head, my eye is drawn away to the stub.

Raul Quinones
03-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Dieter,

Thanks very much! I like what you have done to the picture. I will try to duplicate your results, nice opportunity for me to improve my PS skills.

Raul