PDA

View Full Version : White Crowned Sparrow

Sachin Saraf
07-26-2011, 01:47 PM
This image was made during my last visit to JBWR. It was not a typical day with lot of shore birds but was surprised to see many other birds like this one.

PP- Adjusted exposure, Added Sharpening and cropped to vertical composition...I could not get rid of two perches in BG which I found distracting.

All C&C Welcome

Exif data

<table style="width: 403px; height: 117px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="lookatme"><th>Camera</th><td>Canon EOS-1D Mark III (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_1d_mark_iii/)</td></tr><tr class="lookatme"><th>Exposure</th><td>0.003 sec (1/400)</td></tr><tr class="lookatme"><th>Aperture</th><td>f/8.0</td></tr><tr class="lookatme"><th>Focal Length</th><td>700 mm</td></tr><tr><th>ISO Speed</th><td>100</td></tr><tr><th>Exposure Bias</th><td>-2/3 EV</td></tr><tr><th>Flash</th><td>No Flash</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5277/5850998755_9bd57e4b0c_z_d.jpg

Joel Eade
07-26-2011, 03:42 PM
I like the pose and head angle, the bird is sharp and well exposed.

I would crop a little off the left and bottom and add a little on the right.

Also I would consider removing or toning down the bright out of focus branch in the background that sort of "slices" through the bird.

I like the frame as well, the black and white compliment the bird nicely.

gail bisson
07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Love everything about this shot except for the BG. The branch that slices through the bird is very distracting and really takes away from the image. I would definitely clone it out,
gail

Jeff Cashdollar
07-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Your self critique is correct, the background is distracting. This can be cleaned in post production but some work will be required. Might crop off the bottom to reduce the perch size too, this will simplify things. Very regal looking bird, pose and head angle are strong.

Regarding the techs, I do not use 100 ISO. It limits the opportunities with shutter and aperture. For example, ISO100 X 2 = 200 ISO this adds one stop of light. ISO200 X 2 = 400 ISO adds two stops of light. Detail looks good, however with one more stop of light you could have used a 1/800 shutter to capture more feather detail. I was told by a pro (Canon guy) that most nature photographers use ISO 200 or 400.

Keep em coming and try and limit DoF to mute background. IMO this is one of the biggest challenges with amateur photographers (includes me as well) controlling the background.

wendell westfall
07-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Sachin, a real beauty; my only concern is as mentioned "the branch that cuts through the bird".

Kerry Perkins
07-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Sachin, I agree with your thought about the background - too busy. Otherwise a very nice capture and one of my favorite small birds. One issue that has not been mentioned is the white on the crown, there are a lot of blown pixels in there and this is probably due to your sharpening and web conversion. I really encourage all photographers to check their converted files by taking them back into PS or whatever editing program to check the histogram or use one of the programs I discuss in the sticky at the top of the forum page. I have included a screen capture to show you what I mean. You are doing well, just keep them coming!