PDA

View Full Version : Happy Bear

Rachel Hollander
07-26-2011, 07:42 AM
All the bear images inspired me to go back and revisit my images taken at Brooks Falls in Katmai National Park, Alaska last July. Can't help but think it looks like this bear is smiling.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/500
f5.6
ISO 400
I can't remember if this was on a tripod or hh. Slight s/h, levels adjustment and sharpened in CS5. Cropped from rhs because I cut off the bear's rear in original shot. I thought about cropping to just behind the leg but liked how the water was dripping off the fur behind the leg.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
07-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Great wet fur and I love that you can see the catch. I would love to see more of the Bear to the right with less space on the left. IQ on the head is lacking slightly and I feel some NR on the BG would eliminate some of the textures showing up on the top of the image by the branches. Must be a treat to watch these guys in the wild:S3:

Morkel Erasmus
07-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Certainly looks smug with his catch Rachel!
I like the wet fur, and find myself in agreement with Dumay regarding the need to see a tad more on the RHS (for more 'bear') and also on the head needing a hint of sharpening.

I would actually also suggest a slight crop from the top to eliminate most of the brighter branches? WDYT?:t3

Steve Kaluski
07-27-2011, 07:58 AM
I think coming in a fraction wouldn't hurt here Rachel, I just wonder how the IQ would stand it? Tricky conditions, although being slightly overcast was helpful, especially with the water. I like the paw clutch some food and the alert expression. Hopefully if you go back the 7D will give you more scope and you now have the additional experience too.

TFS
Steve

DanWalters
07-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Like the fish and nice detail in the fur. Would like to see a little more on the right as well.

Rachel Hollander
07-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll play with the crop a bit.

Steve Canuel
07-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Could see a couple of different crops for this one but this works ok for me. I like the way he's holding the fish. I think the sharpness is okay, the lack of a discernible eye and the wet fur make it look softer than what I think it is.