PDA

View Full Version : king of the castle

christopher galeski
07-26-2011, 06:54 AM
took this shot this morning,yes its a yellow dung fly,just can not get a way from them,but they are photogenic,sat on this plant?.cannon 7D,100mm macro f/2.8,is,L,usm,tripod,f/9,1/100s,iso400.comments good or bad.thankyou.

Dave Leroy
07-26-2011, 07:45 AM
I really like the composition with the angle on the fly as if it had just climbed to the top of the flower. Lovely clean bg and sharp on the fly. A bit more dof for the flowers would have been ncie but a lovely photo as is.

Dave

Roman Kurywczak
07-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey Christopher,
I think they are very cool looking!!! I think you did very well in all the tech aspects as the light and BG are fantastic. I am missing the wings in this one a bit comp wise and while DAve brings up a valid point on the flower DOF......it does work for me as presented. An alternative point would be to crop off the bottom to the middle of the bloom.....but that leaves more of a squarish format.....and I'm not the biggest fan of that....so would leave it as is. Another wonderful image!

Carel v/d Sanden
07-26-2011, 12:25 PM
I would like to see more sharpness in the thorax of the fly.
also would be quite a bit more downward allowed my opinion.
nice BG, and sharpness.
But these are mostly personal preferences.
well done also.

OvidiuCavasdan
07-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Very nice pose and sharpness on the head. Very nice BG, the tones variations in BG match well the composition, and also I like the overall colors. Nicely done.

Bob Miller
07-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi Chris....I am loving the colors....they work together so well....I think the fly is sharp where it needs to be but wish there were a little more dof on the flower

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-26-2011, 06:56 PM
I like the comp and bg. Detail on the face is great. I like the crop as posted.

christopher galeski
07-27-2011, 03:51 AM
thanks everybody for comments,I agree on the DOF,on the flower.

Steve Maxson
07-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi Christopher. This image is outstanding in all respects - except for the DOF. :S3: It looks like you didn't have too much leeway to get a higher f/stop other than increasing ISO (and getting more noise). Another option in the field is to shoot from a little farther away which will give you more depth, though you then need to crop more to get the same comp. All in all, this is still very well done.

Susan Candelario
07-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Nice job on this one, Chris. Really like the details in the face and eye.

christopher galeski
07-28-2011, 03:59 AM
Thankyou Steve and Susan for your comments.:S3: